Throughout Spring Training the Dodgers PR department sends out helpful daily notes from Camelback Ranch, and I am happy to pass them along. See what they've written below.
|(Kershaw warming up, pic via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2014)|
BACK ON THE ROAD!: The Dodgers travel to Maryvale today for their second road game of the spring as they meet the Brewers for the only time in Cactus League play this year. The clubs will meet two times during the regular season, Aug. 8-10, at Miller Park and Aug. 15-17 at Dodger Stadium.
- The Dodgers picked up their second victory of the spring yesterday with a 5-0 victory over the White Sox. Center Fielder Joc Pederson and first basemen Clint Robinson, both non-roster invitees, hit their first home runs of the spring. Pederson’s go-ahead two-run homer in the seventh proved to be more than enough for a pitching staff that has allowed just seven earned runs in 27 innings of play (2.33 ERA).
- Left-handed starter Hyun-Jin Ryun was impressive in his Cactus League debut, allowing two singles in two innings of work. Six Dodger relievers, including Brian Wilson and Kenley Jansen, combined to throw seven scoreless innings.
|(Clint Robinson, pic via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2014)|
HILLTOPPERS: Right-hander Dan Haren made his Dodgers debut this afternoon after going 10-14 with a 4.67 ERA in 31 games (30 GS) in his only season with the Nationals in 2013. In his career, the 33-year-old has gone 129-111 with a 3.74 ERA and has posted double-digit win totals in each of his last nine seasons. Also appearing in the game today:
- RHP Brandon League made his first appearance of the spring after posting a 6-4 record in 58 games last season.
- Dodger reliever LHP Paco Rodriguez made his Cactus League debut after limiting opponents to a .164 batting average in his first full season in the Major Leagues last year.
- RHP Javy Guerra tossed a scoreless inning on Wednesday against the Diamondbacks and made his second appearance of the spring. Guerra enters his 11th year in the Dodgers organization.
- Non-roster invitee LHP Chris Reed will make his Cactus League debut. Reed enters 2014 rated by Baseball America as the Dodgers’ No. 8 prospect.
- RHP Jose Dominguez tossed a scoreless inning with two strikeouts on Wednesday against the Diamondbacks and will be making his second appearance of the spring. In 2013, Dominguez appeared in nine games with the Dodgers, posting a 2.16 ERA.
- Milwaukee will counter with RHP Kyle Lohse, RHP Ariel Pena, RHP David Goforth, RHP Tyler Cravy and LHP and former Dodger Brent Leach. Leach pitched in Los Angeles for Joe Torre in 38 games during the 2009 season.
|(Dan Haren, pic via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2014)|
NOTHING MINOR ABOUT IT: The Dodgers had seven minor leaguers joining the club vs. the Brewers today, with pitchers LHP Fu-Ti Ni (#91), RHP Henry Sosa (#88) and RHP Lindsey Caughel (#93), infielders Darnell Sweeney (#87), Aaron Bates (#97) and Jamie Romak (#96) and outfielder Noel Cuevas (#92) all making the trip.
ON THE MEND: According to Manager Don Mattingly, the MRI on outfielder Matt Kemp came back with a good report, giving him the go-ahead to move forward with his rehab. While he is not at full strength, Kemp will start to incorporate running and agility work into his routine. Right-hander Zack Greinke is also feeling better than yesterday and will throw on flat ground today. Dodger starter Chad Billingsley threw a bullpen this morning, introducing curveballs into his repertoire for the first time since undergoing Tommy John surgery last April 24.
- Dodger left fielder Carl Crawford returns to the lineup today as the designated hitter. Crawford missed the last two games with a mild strain of his right quad. The 32-year-old played in 116 games last season and hit .283 with 15 steals in 19 attempts.
|(Pic via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2014)|
OLD FRIEND ALERT: Former Dodger INF/OF Elian Herrera will start at shortstop for the Brewers this afternoon. Herrera hit .251 with a homer, 17 RBI and a .336 on-base percentage in 71 big league games with Los Angeles the last two seasons. The native of the Dominican Republic was claimed by the Brewers on November 4, 2013.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *