Check out this great photo of the Brooklyn Dodger broadcast crew in the pressbox at Ebbets Field (1953). Vin Scully is seen just above the "G", pic via @Dodgers_History on twitter. I believe Red Barber is to Vin's left and Connie Desmond is on his right.
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA, "Dodgers starters have been in control this season."
On the season Dodgers starters lead baseball in xFIP (3.30), SIERA (3.36) and strikeout-to-walk ratio (3.83), are second in ERA (3.09) and walk rate (5.6 percent), third in quality starts (50), fifth in strikeout rate (21.6 percent), sixth in FIP (3.60), and eighth in innings per start (6.1).
- Via Bill Shaikin at the LA Times, "Dodgers' Yasiel Puig would 'absolutely welcome' home-run derby shot."
If he chooses me, I absolutely welcome it,” Puig told the Los Angeles Times through an interpreter, “but it doesn’t matter to me whether I play or not.”
- Here's an early look at the 30HR Club Bobblehead (Baker, Cey, Garvey, Smith) the Dodgers are giving out to fans on Thursday, July 31st.
- Mark Langill at Dodger Insider shares a great story from Don Newcombe - from how he got his start in Baseball to his time playing in the Minors in Nashua with Campanella.
“So one day during the season in Lawrence, Massachusetts, Alston gets tossed from a game around the fifth inning and we’re losing 2-1. Campy becomes the manager. Around the seventh inning, Campy says, ‘Roomie, I need you as a pinch-hitter.’ I hit a two-run home run and we won the game, 3-2. Roy was so proud of that game. He talked about that game for the rest of his life. It was a bigger thrill than him winning those three National League MVP awards.”
- You sneaky devils! Via Josh Tucker at Dodger Insider, they remembered the 5th anniversary of Michael Jackson's passing through their tweets.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *