Yasiel Puig had a monster night last night. He absolutely punished the Giants and Tim Lincecum. Puig belted three triples, a double and drove in 2 runs. In fact, he was the first Dodger to have three triples in a game since Jimmy Sheckard in 1901. Pic above via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2014.
- Here is an early peek at the Magic Johnson bobblehead the Dodgers are giving away to fans on Tuesday, September 2nd on the right. Hat Tip: @DodgersBeat on twitter.
- Via Stuart Wallace at the Daily Gammons, "Scott Van Slyke finds success despite splits."
While his defense has been more than adequate, it’s been with the bat where Van Slyke has provided the most value, hitting at a .393 wOBA and 157 wRC+ in 168 plate appearances (PA), each good for second place on the Dodgers (minimum 150 PA) behind Puig’s .399 wOBA and 161 wRC+, respectively.
- Erisbel Arruebarrena is back on the field, via a tweet from Eric Stephen at True Blue LA:
SS Erisbel Arruebarrena is back with @ABQTopes on a rehab assignment, on the DL with a right hip flexor
— Eric Stephen (@truebluela) July 25, 2014
- Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com, "Greinke records rare four-strikeout inning." He did it once before in 2012 as a memeber of the Angels.
"This time I didn't even notice," said Greinke. "I still wasn't pitching as well as I wanted. The strikeout pitch on Hunter wasn't where I wanted it to go and I was wrapped up in that and making sure it's not a big inning."
The previous Los Angeles pitchers with four strikeouts in one inning -- Pete Richert (1962), Don Drysdale (1965), Darren Dreifort (2003) and Brad Penny (2006).
- Via Mark Saxon at ESPNLosAngeles.com, "Dodgers move Yasiel Puig to center."
"I just want to be on the field helping my team win," Puig said after the game. "Whatever position they ask me to play, I'm going to do my best. I do prefer center field a little bit, because I can run more."
- This just new. Topps is creating 75th Anniversary Hall of Fame Metal wall art featuring 20 star ballplayers on a 1972 Topps Baseball card design. They are all numbered to just #/49 copies each and are for sale directly from Topps at $99. Dodger legend Jackie Robinson is a part of the set. Go here to order, and see a pic of it on the left.
- Via TMZ we read a story about an elderly couple that's suing the team, "L.A. Kings ruined our sex lives... Lawsuit Claims."
- Here's a great old news story written by John Eisenberg of the Baltimore Sun in 1995, "Ruthian myths don't stray far from facts BABE RUTH 100 YEARS."
Yet it is true that Ruth once hit a ball between a pitcher's legs and over the center fielder's head. In 1927, he hit a line drive at Senators pitcher Hod Lisenbee, who jumped to avoid being hit. The ball nicked the underside of Lisenbee's thigh and, hit with tremendous power, took a huge hop when it landed just beyond the infield, bouncing over the head of center fielder Tris Speaker, who had been sneaking in hoping to pick off a runner on second (a favorite ruse of his). Ruth wound up with an extra-base hit.
- The LA Daily News shares a bunch of photos from the Laker Girls tryouts. Go here to check them out. BTW, pay special attention to photo #10, it's awesomely hilarious!
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *