Clayton Kershaw was very good during the rubber match against the Brewers on Sunday - not great or phenomenal, but very good. In eight innings of work he scattered six hits, but seemingly had to work hard to get out of innings. The first batter in five of his eight innings got on base, so he was constantly working from behind. Nevertheless, he battled and persevered to allow only one run the entire game. Photo above via @MLB on twitter.
The play of the game came in the bottom of the 5th inning. With a Brewers threatening to tie the game, Rickie Weeks tried to score on a squeeze bunt play with just one out in the inning. Batter Jean Segura popped it up between the plate and mound, so Kershaw had to make a diving play to catch the ball. He ended up doubling-up Weeks for the last out of the inning. This guy just does everything. Watch the tremendous play below.
BTW, Kershaw won his 14th game and the Dodgers are now 4.5 games up on the Giants. Now, here are some more Dodger links to check out.
- ICYMI, Hanley Ramirez was placed on the Disabled List on Sunday with a right oblique strain and Darwin Barney has been recalled from Albuquerque. Since I was bored I decided to make another Barney fantasy Baseball card. See it on the right. This time I used a 1970 Topps Baseball card design.
- BTW, to make room for Kevin Correia on the 40-man roster the Dodgers DFA'd Colt Hynes for assignment. Hynes is a left-handed relief pitcher who has spent a majority of his career in the Padres minor league system and pitched for them last season. He then came to the Dodgers in a trade earlier this year. It is not yet known whose place Correia will take on the 24-man roster, but it is expected that he will start tonight's game.
- Watch Brewers broadcaster Bob Uecker speak to Alanna Rizzo about Yasiel Puig's strength, Zack Greinke's fishing skills and Vin Scully's impact on the game on a SportsNetLA video.
- Via Chad Moriyama at Dodgers Digest, "Visualizing Matt Kemp’s revamped stance."
- Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com, "Dodgers want Ethier to be an option at first base."
"I've always liked him over there. His actions are good," Mattingly said. "I want to get him more comfortable. I'd like to have that option. If something happens to Adrian, we've only got Scott Van Slyke. I want to get him to do a few more things. It's not just take a few grounders. He has to get the ball out of a bigger glove, the footwork around the bag and getting used to the speed of ground balls."
- Via Doug Padilla at ESPNLosAngeles.com, "Crawford Little League support pays off."
For the past year, Crawford has lent financial support to the Jackie Robinson West Little League team from the South Side of Chicago, even though Crawford has no ties to the area. When the team advanced to next week's Little League World Series in Williamsport, Pa., with a Saturday afternoon victory over Indiana in the Great Lakes Regional final, Crawford was beaming like a proud father.
- Via Ricky Doyle at NESN, "Manny Ramirez Drawing Rave Reviews For Work With Chicago Cubs Prospects." Maturing, he must be.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *