1956 was a banner year for Dodger pitchers, as evidenced in the International News press photo above that was found on eBay. Featured is Don Drysdale with his Rookie of the Year award and Don Newcombe with his Cy Young and MVP awards. They were given their awards on opening day at Ebbets Field in Brooklyn on April 18, 1957. Go here to check out this photo on eBay.
Below are some links to check out:
- Listen to Wednesday's Dodger Talk with Kevin Kennedy and David Vassegh, here.
- Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com, "Dodgers serve community with 'Season of Giving.'
"Commitment to and investment in the Los Angeles community is woven into the fabric of who we are," said LADF executive director Nichol Whiteman. "Our ability to support youth and families is a direct reflection of our ownership, players, coaches, front office and our fans, and we are proud to be able to make the holidays a bit brighter for many in need."
- Via Cary Osborne at Dodger Insider, "Seasons: Maury Wills' 1962 - not to be taken away."
No one can take that away from Wills, who in 1962 had one of the most memorable seasons in Dodger history. He likes to call it happenstance. The year that Dodger Stadium opened, the Dodgers opened their minds to a new brand of baseball. The Dodgers finished their run at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in 1961. Wills reasons that since the screen in left field was only 251 feet away from home plate at the Coliseum, the Dodgers relied more on the longball and didn’t want to run the risk of making outs by attempting to steal. Thus, Wills stole 35 bases in 1961. The new Dodger Stadium freed him up to have a record-shattering 1962.
- After just claiming off him of waivers earlier this month from the Padres, the Dodgers traded infielder Ryan Jackson for cash to the Royals the day before Thanksgiving, via Steve Adams at MLB Trade Rumors. Pretty savvy, eh? The Dodgers get him for nothing, then trade him for cash.
- Yasiel Puig shares his little cameo in a new Nike commercial, as seen on his instagram.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *