O Captain! My Captain!
Accolades from all circles are coming in for longtime Dodger minor league manager, teacher and mentor Joe Shoemaker. He was named the recipient of the eighth annual Mike Coolbaugh Award - presented annually to those who have shown outstanding baseball work ethic, knowledge of the game and skill in mentoring young players on the field. That pretty much describes Shoemaker to a "T". As you may recall, he was appointed “Captain” of Player Development this past September for his dedication through the course of 39 years with the club, and now dons a "C" on his jersey.
He said the following about winning the award, per a Dodger press release:
“With numerous qualified instructors eligible for this award, I feel extremely fortunate to be the recipient of this year’s Mike Coolbaugh Award,” said Shoemaker, who led the Ogden Raptors to a 43-33 mark in his 22nd season as a manager in the Dodgers organization. “Past, present and future winners of this award have the distinct privilege on honoring the legacy of Mike Coolbaugh, who throughout his career displayed passion, determination and perseverance, all valuable traits for a professional athlete. I am grateful to Pat O’Conner, Minor League Baseball, the entire Los Angeles Dodgers organization and most importantly, the Coolbaugh family for recognizing me with this award.”Photo at the very top via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2015. Below are more links to check out:
- Kiké Hernandez has begun rehab, via his tweet:
Day 1 of rehab ✔️— Enrique Hernandez (@kikehndez) November 18, 2015
- Now down to just two candidates? Via a tweet from Jerry Crasnick:
Indications are #Dodgers manager job will come down to Gabe Kapler and Dave Roberts. Bud Black appears to be out of the mix.— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) November 18, 2015
- Via Jon Weisman at Dodger Insider, "Clayton Kershaw extends efforts for underprivileged."
On Thursday, Kershaw and his wife Ellen will host their second annual benefit concert in Dallas to benefit Kershaw’s Challenge, the nonprofit charity they founded to transform at-risk communities and the lives of children worldwide. Country music artist Easton Corbin is the featured performer.
- Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com, "Kershaw donates to building of UYA in Texas."
Dodgers pitcher and Dallas native Clayton Kershaw made a personal financial donation toward construction of the Texas Rangers MLB Urban Youth Academy in West Dallas.
"Kershaw's Challenge is all about giving kids an opportunity," Kershaw said. "We never expected to have a partnership with the Rangers, but it's awesome. We just wanted to do something here in our hometown … in our backyard. It's an incredible partnership."
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA, "Dodgers reportedly hire Drew Saylor as minor league coach."
- Via Steven Quach on Dodger Nation, "Nomar Garciaparra Appears in Online Golf Series."
- Via Sports Card Info, "MacGyver’s Baseball Card Episode." I don't remember this episode at all, but now that it's mentioned I am going to have to watch it.
- Great stuff for the uniform geek inside all of us. Via Paul Lukas at UniWatch, "Squatchee Etymology: A Uni Watch Investigation."
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *