Talk 'bout breakin' up the play.
Check out this fantastic vintage "United Press" press photo, dated August 28, 1956, of Cubs outfielder Pete Whisenant with an aggressive slide against Dodger second baseman Charlie Neal. To use hockey parlance, it looks like Whisenant hip-checked Neal off the base. Fortunately, the missed opportunity to get the extra out didn't lead to a run, but the Dodgers did lose the game, 4-3. Photo above via an eBay auction.
Below are more links to check out:
- I'm a huge AJ Ellis fan, so this is welcomed news. Via Mark Saxon at ESPN, "Catcher A.J. Ellis will return to Dodgers in 2016."
They retained one of the most popular players in the clubhouse, agreeing to a $4.5 million, one-year contract with catcher A.J. Ellis on Wednesday.
- BTW, AJ Ellis isn't just a catcher and positive clubhouse presence. He is also a reality tv actor. Via Robin Reed at Yahoo TV, "Dodger A.J. Ellis Makes House Call to Lisa Vanderpump on ‘RHOBH’" There's a video to gawk at, and plenty of material to make you smile. The best line of all was:
"The LA Dodgers have sent over this gorgeous hunk. AJ Ellis who, ya know, let me play with his balls... or practice, at least."
- Via Bernie Wilson at Yahoo Sports, "Padres manager Andy Green names McGwire bench coach."
''As a player I pretty much went through anything a player could ever wish upon as far as success, and all the failures,'' he said. ''You learn how to be a man through adversity and failure. The game is built on failure. I know how to bust through that. ... I'm ecstatic about this new role. It's a great challenge for me, moving up in the game.''
- Wow! According to Erika Owen at Travel + Leisure, Dodger Stadium is the 5th most Instagrammed place in the world.
- SportsNet LA/Dodgers Broadcaster Alanna Rizzo is the Hispanas Organized for Political Equality (HOPE) “HOPE Rising” honoree at their 26th annual awards dinner tonight. Adrian Gonzalez is expected to introduce her to the masses. Go here for more information about this event. Per a Dodger press release:
“I am truly honored to be receiving the HOPE Rising Award,” said Rizzo. “When an organization like HOPE, that for 26 years has been working to advance and amplify the voice of Latinas, notices your work and the impact it has on others, it only elevates my commitment to continue to work harder to open the doors for young Latinas that follow in my footsteps.”
- This is a head-scratcher. Via Jon Weisman at Dodger Insider, "Dodgers part ways with Juan Nicasio."
Nicasio led all Dodger relievers in 2015 in innings pitched, finishing the year with a 3.86 ERA, 1.56 WHIP and 10.0 strikeouts per nine innings. He had a 2.92 ERA through August 30, before allowing nine runs in his final nine innings and ending up off the Dodgers’ playoff roster.
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA, "Dodgers reportedly hire Neil Rampe, Nate Lucero as new athletic trainers."
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *