RMY has their newest vintage sports photograph auction up and it includes the above 1930 ACME press photo from Opening Day at Ebbets Field. On this Tuesday afternoon we see the teams (the Robins/Dodgers in the foreground and Phillies in the background) lined up on the field just after the raising of the nations flag.
It's fantastic to see the stadium dressed up for the occasion. It's even better seeing the boys from Brooklyn all wearing their team jackets. Best yet, we get a full view of their fantastic socks. The color sequence for them go from blue to red to blue. I so wish this photo was in color in order to see them in all their glory.
Below are more links to check out:
- Kershaw can't sing. Via Kelsey at AL.com, "Watch Dodgers ace Clayton Kershaw sing Alabama fight song in children's hospital challenge."
When Nick Saban and several Alabama football players were challenged to sing "A Whole New World" at a Dallas children's hospital, they gave quite the performance.
They followed up their karaoke session by challenging the next celebrity visitor – Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Clayton Kershaw – to sing Alabama's fight song.
- Via Cary Osborne at Dodger Insider, "The steady voice of Rick Honeycutt."
‘“He does such a great job,” said three-time Cy Young award winner Clayton Kershaw. “I feel pretty fortunate that I’ve had him for as long as I’ve had him. We’ve been working together so long. I kind of feel like he understands what helps me and what doesn’t help me. He’s able to communicate that, which is really tough to find.”
Honeycutt is often credited for the impact he has made on the Dodger pitching staff. His studiousness, ability to filter information and communicate and his desire to tackle challenges are all part of what have made him and those around him successful. They’re all characteristics that go back to his playing days.
- Have I mentioned that David Hood's prospect reports are excellent? If I haven't, I apologize for the oversight. He does great work and provides the exact kind of stuff I'm interested in reading when it comes to prospects. Check out his newest report on Willie Calhoun here.
If you’ve read this far, you can probably tell that offense is Calhoun’s calling card. The power was expected after the draft, but what surprised was Calhoun’s advanced approach at the plate and feel for hitting. Calhoun has a loose, easy swing with exceptional feel for contact. He has employed two timing mechanisms seen on film, one a toe tap and the other a leg lift, and may vary between the two depending on situation, count, etc.
- Via Minor Leaguer at Bluebird Banter, "Alex Anthopoulos reportedly joins Los Angeles Dodgers' front office." He was the GM for the Blue Jays.
In numerous interviews, Anthopoulos had mentioned his love for scouting and personally evaluating players. His first job with the Blue Jays was as scouting director.
- Via Nicolas Stellini at Beyond the Boxscore, "Kenta Maeda's reported Dodgers contract is very strange."
- And this wouldn't be an Dodgers winter if there wasn't some concern with Maeda's health. Via Jerry Crasnick on twitter:
Source says #Dodgers-Kenta Maeda deal is taking a while because of concerns over his elbow. Expected to be official in next day or 2.— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) January 6, 2016
- On Maeda, per an ESPN report:
The sides agreed to a deal before the new year, but a source told Crasnick that concerns arose over he pitcher's elbow during a physical. A source told ESPN's Jim Bowden that the Dodgers also see an issue with Maeda's shoulder and that a ligament in his elbow is indeed compromised. However, the 27-year-old has been pitching with both issues.
According to a source, the Dodgers know that Maeda will require surgery at some point but feel that signing him is still worth it if they can get three or four useful years out of him.
- Panini released even more preview pics from their upcoming 2015 National Treasures Baseball set. Check them out here. Below are pics of an Tommy Lasorda and Corey Seager card. This set officially comes out on Friday.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *