Spring training isn't only about Baseball. During their Vero Beach days it was also about the fishing.
Featured above is a vintage press photo (via Bettman/CORBIS at SI) of Don Newcombe, Steve Lembo, Roy Campanella, Tommy Brown, and Jim Romano showing off their their booty from an afternoon at sea. The photograph is undated, but likely dates to the late-40's to early-50's.
Below are more links to check out:
- Via Henry Shulman at the San Francisco Chronicle, "Dodgers manager Dave Roberts plans to steal from Giants’ Bruce Bochy." (subscription req.)
“I’ve definitely got a few things up my sleeve that he’s taught me, whether he knows it or not,” [manager Dave] Roberts said with a smile at a press availability Monday for all 15 Cactus League managers and general managers.
- Via Ron Cervenka at Think Blue LA, "Blanton embracing new role as reliever."
“I think being a veteran and having been around a lot makes it easier because I’m not real stressed on when I’m gonna go in the game,” said Blanton. “I know once I get out there I’ll be ready – I’m not so stressed – which makes that role easier because it’s all over the board. Some guys who say ‘Hey, I’m the seventh-inning guy’ or when like ‘Alright these lefties come up I know I need to be ready at that time of the game,’ or ‘I’m the closer or the eighth-inning guy.'”
- Here's a preview pic of the Dodger Stadium replica being given out to fans on Saturday, May 14th against the Cardinals on the right. Go here to check out the Dodgers promotional schedule.
- Via an AP story at ESPN, "Infielder Jimmy Rollins reaches minor league deal with White Sox."
- Via Doug Padilla at ESPN, "Dodgers' Hyun-Jin Ryu set up for slow-motion spring training."
“And that’s kind of by design with how we put together this roster,” (Dave Roberts) said. “We’ve added depth and to expect him to throw 200 innings coming off surgery is unrealistic. Now we have the luxury that whenever he is ready then he can contribute to the end of the season. That is a luxury we have and for all of us, talking to Ryu, takes some of the anxiety out of it.”
- Via Bill Plunkett at the OC Register, "Alex Wood confident about his status in Dodgers' deep rotation."
“I’ve never shied away from competition in any way, shape or form. … In this game at this level, once you establish yourself, you get a little bit of a comfort level. But you come to an organization like this - I don’t want to say money is no object. But when you can bring in the type of talent you can here, that competition level is always going to be there unless you’re a guy like Kershaw.”
- I thought I would note that there are a couple of very rare vintage Dodgers bobbleheads currently on auction on eBay (here and here). They are a part of the 1960's era "Weirdo's" series and often sell in the thousands. In fact, both bobbles are currently over a thousand dollars a piece right now. For some background on these rarities check out my brief story about them from 2014, here.
- Beckett shares their live blog from Topps presentation at the 2016 Industry Summit in Hawaii yesterday. Check it out here. One notable announcement is that they will host a nationwide National Baseball Card Day this year for the first time since 2008 - date has not yet been determined. There was also mention of some sort of deal between Topps and Dodgers pitcher Kenta Maeda, but details were scarce. I think it's likely to be an exclusive autograph deal with the company.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *