The Dodgers thought that they'd lucked out yesterday. That afternoons starter, Jason Hammel, left the game early due to an hamstring cramp. So, they wouldn't have to face one of their best starters so far this season. Unfortunately, the Cubs bullpen was up to the task of shutting down Los Angeles. Via Brian Hedger at MLB.com:
"Once Hammel goes out there and we're into the bullpen in the third inning, you're thinking you can grind some at-bats and wear out the bullpen," Turner said. "It's Game 1 of a four-game series. [Wood] did a good job of pounding the zone and getting quick outs, and I think he went four innings. You have to tip your cap to him."Five Cubs pitchers combined for a one-hit shutout victory; including seven no-hit innings by their relievers. The lone Dodger hit was a single by Justin Turner in the first inning. The Dodgers lost 2-0.
Photo above via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2106. Go here to check out more pics by Jon from yesterdays game. Below are more links to check:
- This Day in Dodgers History: This is remarkable. In 1948, Tommy Lasorda, as a member of the Schenectady Blue Jays of the Phillies system, struck out 25 batters in a 15 inning game to defeat the Amsterdam Rugmakers. Lasorda has said in the past that he likely threw more than 300 pitches that day. In 1965 the Dodgers, for the first time in history, field an all switch-hitting infield in a game against the Reds. The players were Wes Parker, Jim Lefebvre, Maury Wills and Jim Gilliam. In 1968 Don Drysdale hurled his fifth consecutive shutout to extend his scoreless innings streak. This is the game where a Giants batter was called out on a bases loaded hit-by-pitch since he was ruled to have not made an attempt to get out of the way of the pitch.
- Happy Birthday, Dave Roberts!
- FYI, the Julio Urias 2016 Topps Now card available over the weekend sold 2,992 copies. Go here to take a look at it.
- Jayson Stark at ESPN puts together a fun little trivia game. Check it out here. "Trivia Tuesday: Just how good is Clayton Kershaw, anyway?"
- Via Mark Gonzalez at the Chicago Tribune; "Cubs' Jake Arrieta calls Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw 'a special talent'"
"He's a role model for kids who watch this game and strive to make it to this level. He's a good guy to watch and follow. He does things the right way. He's a good person. And he's a special talent."
- A guy from down under has fallen hard for the game and the Dodgers. Via Matt Heath at the New Zealand Herald; "One night in the stands turns full-on glove affair."
We all know that annoying guy. The one who visits England for five minutes and comes back a massive Premier League fan. Suddenly he'll die for the Gunners, or whichever team was closest to the crappy flat he shared with two Aussies, three South Africans and 10 Kiwis. Or the douche who comes home from two weeks in the States and suddenly loves baseball because they got steamed at one game.
That's me. I went to see the Los Angeles Dodgers and now I am hooked. It's the greatest game in the world. The look, the feel, the stats, the food, the tension, the history, the music, the commentary. Baseball is the game of the future played in knickerbockers from the 1930s. I'd die for my beloved Dodgers.
Welcome to the family, Matt Heath!
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA; "Jharel Cotton, Willie Calhoun win weekly minor league honors."
- Via One Nación at ESPN; "Across MLB, Adrián González keeps the #PonleAcento campaign going."
- Via Ron Cervenka at Think Blue LA; "It’s Alex Guerrero decision day for Dodgers." He will probably get DFA'd by the Dodgers.
- Via Brian Hedger at MLB.com; "Sore back no longer an issue for Thompson."
"Trayce is better," manager Dave Roberts said before the series opener Monday against the Cubs. "He could've played today. He's available in every capacity. For me, I just wanted to give him another day and give [Carl Crawford] an opportunity to go out there. I like the matchup of him vs. [Cubs starter Jason Hammel]."
- I've got mad respect for the Cubs. Via a tweet by Doug Padilla of ESPN:
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *