As you certainly know, this afternoon is the White House ceremony for the presentation of the Presidential Medal of Freedom in Washington DC, and Vin Scully is one of just a handful of folks to be honored. The festivities begin at 11:55 PT, so I think it would be well worth your time to spend your lunch with Vin, the other honorees and the President. Here is a link to watch a livestream of it all: Whitehouse.gov.
The other recipients are Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Michael Jordan, Ellen DeGeneres, Robert De Niro, Tom Hanks, Lorne Michaels, Robert Redford, Diana Ross, Bruce Springsteen, Elouise Cobell, Richard Garwin, Bill and Melinda Gates, Frank Gehry, Margaret H. Hamilton, Grace Hopper, Maya Lin, Newt Minow, Eduardo Padrón and Cicely Tyson.
Photo above is of Vin Scully arriving in DC yesterday for todays ceremony, via @Dodgers on twitter. Below are more links to check out:
- I think it's important for me to note that you shouldn't get too worked up about the abundance of rumors being thrown around. Most of what you're seeing and hearing is just clickbait; i.e bored reporters and writers trying to make something out of nothing, and hoping to get paid ad dollars in the process.
Rest assured, the Dodgers front office has or will soon speak with every agent that represents a free agent... Every one of them... And they are likely to speak with every team in the league to explore trades. At the end of the day, none of this stuff is really news -- it's just a regular course of their business.
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1954 the Pittsburgh Pirates took future Hall of Famer Roberto Clemente in the Rule 5 Draft from the Brooklyn Dodgers. In 1982 Dodger second baseman Steve Sax is named the NL Rookie of the Year. He is the fourth consecutive Dodger to win the award.
- Happy Birthday, Ricky Ledée!
- Via Jon Weisman at Dodger Insider; "Vin Scully a finalist for Sports Illustrated’s Sportsperson of the Year."
“The bard of baseball put down his microphone after 67 years in the booth, a career that saw the 88-year-old Scully interact with Connie Mack and Corey Seager,” SI writes. “We will never see another like him. Scully worked alone for much of his time as a commentator and was rightfully feted for his years as a poet-philosopher, the most beloved person in baseball, now and forever.”
- The Pleasant Valley Christmas Parade in Camarillo will have Tommy Lasorda as the Grand Marshall. The parade will be on Saturday, December 10th and starts at 10:00 AM. Go here for more information.
- Via Erin Edwards at Dodger Insider; "LADF holiday online auction underway."
- Via Jon Weisman at Dodger Insider; "Dodger Youth Camp Series offers great opportunities for kids in December."
Ten top Dodger prospects, including former first-round picks Walker Buehler, Gavin Lux, and Will Smith, and 2016 Arizona Fall League All-Stars Willie Calhoun and Alex Verdugo, will be instructors at the Dodger Youth Camp Series, presented by the Dodgers and the Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation.
- Blowout Buzz provides a sneak peek at Panini's 2016 National Treasures Collegiate Baseball set; including the Jackie Robinson and Kirk Gibson cards below. Go here to check out more. This set is slated to be released on January 4, 2017.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *