As part of a tradition that has existed for numerous decades Topps has named their 2016 MLB All-Star Rookie Team, and it includes three Dodgers' players -- Corey Seager, Julio Urias and Kenta Maeda. No doubt this is a testament to a flourishing minor league system. Per a Topps release:
The Topps All-Star Rookie Team began in 1959. The winners also receive a gold “cup” on their official Topps baseball card in the 2017 set, which has been a tradition for many years.
The Topps MLB All-Star Rookie Team – nicknamed the Topps Rookie Cup – is awarded to one player for each position, a right-hander starter, a left-handed starter, and a relief pitcher.Additionally, Topps has issued an eleven-card 2016 Topps Now Baseball card set for fans to purchase. Go here to check it out and order. Below is a checklist:
- Catcher: Gary Sanchez (Card Number: OS-18)
- First Baseman: Tommy Joseph (Card Number: OS-19)
- Second Baseman: Ryan Schimpf (Card Number: OS-20)
- Third Baseman: Alex Bregman (Card Number: OS-21)
- Shortstop: Corey Seager (Card Number: OS-22)
- Outfielder: Trea Turner (Card Number: OS-23)
- Outfielder: Nomar Mazara (Card Number: OS-24)
- Outfielder: Tyler Naquin (Card Number: OS-25)
- Left-Handed Pitcher: Julio Urias (Card Number: OS-26)
- Right-Handed Pitcher: Michael Fulmer (Card Number: OS-27) (This is likely suppose to be Kent Maeda)
- Relief Pitcher: Seung-Hwan Oh (Card Number: OS-28)
I suspect the Topps website erred in including Michael Fulmer on the list since a Topps release (link here) states that Maeda is their actual choice.
------------------As a special treat, Topps appears to have included an early peek at Corey Seager's 2017 Topps Baseball card with the Topps Rookie Cup. Check it out below.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *