Dashing and Debonair.
Featured here is an original 120mm photo transparency of an photogenic Sandy Koufax in a photoshoot taken in the 60's. (eBay Auction Link) I believe it was taken by LA theatrical photographer Jay Thompson.
Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1953 second baseman Jim Gilliam was named Rookie of the Year. In 1958 the Dodgers received infielder and future Hall of Fame manager Sparky Anderson from the Phillies for Jim Golden, Rip Pepulski and Gene Snyder. In 2004 the Dodgers signed free agent outfielder JD Drew to a five year/$55 million contract; which included an opt-out clause after his second season. As you know, JD did exercise the opt-out.
- Happy Birthday, Bunny Fabrique, Doc Gessler, Danny Taylor, Tim Leary, Cody Ross & Hanley Ramirez!
- Per Richard Deitsch at Sports Illustrated, Vin Scully has been named the 2016 Media Person of the Year.
Elegance isn’t something we see often in sports broadcasting these days—the era is more Baylessian than Bard. Scully reminded us, whether real or imagined, of a more peaceful time. We were lucky to have him as long as we did. Wishing you a very pleasant good afternoon, Vin, wherever you may be.
- Awesome! Per Rich Mueller at Sports Collectors Daily; "Goldin Auctions to Partner with Jackie Robinson Foundation."
Goldin Auctions, which has also been the Official Auction House of the Babe Ruth Museum since 2015, will raise funds and visibility for the Jackie Robinson Foundation and the Jackie Robinson Museum project. It will host an annual Jackie Robinson Foundation Auction, featuring a wide variety of sports, historical and pop-culture memorabilia tied to Robinson, athletes of his generation, Negro Leagues baseball, the Civil Rights Movement and other related figures and topics. The first such event, the 70th anniversary auction, is slated for Saturday, April 15. A 75thanniversary auction and special event is being planned for 2022.
Goldin Auctions is also working with the Jackie Robinson Foundation by helping to identify and supply artifacts for the upcoming Jackie Robinson Museum, as construction plans get underway in 2017. Goldin Auctions will work to bring unique and historic Robinson artifacts to auction all year long.
- Per Harold Uhlman at Think Blue LA; "Joe Black – A Dodger and a Best Friend."
While Joe Black does not have the illustrious career of Jackie Robinson as an African American player in a time when only six major league clubs accepted men of color, he endured the same struggles. He was told more than once that, “Colored guys don’t play baseball.” On more than one occasion he had to endure the chant, “Old Black Joe” emanating from the opponent’s dugout.
Sometime later he said: “I pitched my greatest games in miserable ball parks, in the colored league, with nobody watching.”
- Per Dave Cameron at FanGraphs; "The Twins Should Take Jose De Leon While They Can."
- Congrats to the Great Lakes Loons - the Dodgers Single-A affiliate. Per Chris Creamer at SportsLogos.net, their "Winter Loon" alternate logo has been named the 2016 Alternate Logo of the Year.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *