I guess you never get football out of your system.
Featured above is a fantastic AP press/publicity photograph that features Jackie Robinson in the midst of being tackled by two college gridiron all-stars. (eBay Auction Link) This photo was taken on August 15, 1949 at a BBWAA get-together in Bear Mountain, NY. Per the descriptor on the reverse:
Note that Jackie, a guest at the outing, is wearing a slipper on his left foot injured in a recent game. The footballers, Goble Bryant (left), Army, and Scott Emerson, Navy, are members of the Eastern College All-Star Team which is training at Bear Mountain for their tilt with the New York Giants at the Polo Grounds in New York, Sept. 1.Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1947 the Dodgers made a trade with the Pittsburgh Pirates that netted them Billy Cox, Gene Mauch and Preacher Rowe for Hal Gregg, Vic Lombardi and Dixie Walker.
- Happy Birthday, Alan Foster, Jolbert Cabrera & Reed Johnson!
- Video: In this Backstage: Dodgers bonus, get a behind-the-scenes look at Clayton Kershaw’s baseball camp in Dallas. (Link Here)
- Craig Calcaterra of NBC Sports shares his list of, "Baseball’s Most Handsome Managers" and Dave Roberts ranks high.
Roberts, however, dealt with the same stuff — the Yasiel Puig drama, the expectations that come with the Dodgers payroll AND he dealt with Clayton Kershaw getting injured — yet he always looked cooler than the other side of the pillow:
That’s what handsome is.
- AJ Ellis will be joining Don Mattingly and the Florida Marlins next season, via a tweet by Buster Olney.
The Marlins have agreed to terms with A.J. Ellis on a 1-year deal for $2.5 million.— Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) December 7, 2016
- Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com; "Roberts, A-Gone to take part in Dubai clinic."
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA; "Dodgers select pitchers Edward Paredes, Kyle Grana in Rule 5 Draft."
Paredes is 30 from the Dominican Republic, and posted a 2.27 ERA in 46 games with Double-A Arkansas in the Angels system, with 53 strikeouts and 21 walks in 43⅔ innings. Left-handed batters hit .167/.286/.236 against him in 2016, and he had a 36.9% strikeout rate against lefties compared to 23.4% against righties.
Grana had a 3.12 ERA in 43 games for High-A Palm Beach in 2016, with 63 strikeouts and 27 walks in 53⅔ innings. He allowed two home runs in 2016, his only two home runs allowed in four minor league seasons and 178⅔ innings.
- Just in case you were curious. The man who shall not be named is now a football team owner across the bay. Per Joshua Robinson at the Wall Street Journal; "The Dodgers’ Lost Owner Resurfaces in France: Frank McCourt, whose tenure with the Dodgers ended in acrimony, is trying for a fresh start in European soccer." I found this part hilarious:
Besides, the unpopularity of a former baseball-team owner was a faraway concern to them. The Marseillais were getting rid of an owner they despised much closer to home, Margarita Louis-Dreyfus, whom they blamed for the team’s failure to acquire talent.
“Right now, we’re more excited about the exit of the previous owners than anything else,” said Christian Cataldo, the head of an OM supporters’ group coincidentally called Les Dodger’s. “The nightmare had to end.”
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *