Yesterday afternoon the Dodgers officially welcomed back both Kenley Jansen and Justin Turner during a press conference at Dodger Stadium. Per a Ken Gurnick story at MLB.com:
"[Ownership was] extremely supportive of bringing these guys back," said Friedman. "I think heading into an offseason where they're at the top of the list, in terms of players, coupled with who they are and how well we know them, I think gave everyone more confidence to stretch and be creative.The takeaway from the event was that both players were fervent is their desire to stay, and vocal about wanting to a win a world championship for the fans in Los Angeles. Watch them speak about that here and here. Doug Padilla at ESPN writes more about how they came up with their decision to stay during a haircut, here.
"Kenley, in our minds, is the best reliever in baseball. Justin represents so much of what we value in a player."
"Having conversations with these guys on my wedding weekend ... just to see them around meant so much to me," Jansen said. "It made a decision to leave even tougher after we sat down to talk about stuff while I was getting my haircut. When we were all together, it made it tough for me to make a decision to be in another uniform."Photo at the very top via Jon SooHoo @Dodgers on twitter. Go here to check out more pics by Jon from the press conference. Below are more links to check out:
- !!!! 2017 FanFest News !!!! At 12:00 PM Noon today you can go to the Dodgers FanFest site (link here) to download a free ticket to the event. As you know, FanFest will be held on Saturday, January 28th at Dodger Stadium. Details regarding player autographs should be coming soon.
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1920 a plan developed by Charles Ebbets many years ago is finally adopted - the annual drafting of players from the minor leagues will be done in inverse order of the final standings. In 2016 the Dodgers received Rob Segedin from the Yankees in exchange for Tyler Olson and Ronald Torreyes. They also traded starting pitcher Joe Wieland to the Mariners for minor league infielder Erick Mejia.
- Happy Birthday, Ed Swartwood, Tom Kinslow, Dan Daub, Ed Stevens, Terry Whitfield, Mike Marshall, Chris Hatcher & Alex Wood!
- Dodger Talk: Listen to Dodgers' Triple-A manager Bill Haselman on Dodger Talk. (Link Here)
- Video: Watch Alanna Rizzo speak with Kenley Jansen after the press conference: ‘I Didn’t Want To Leave’. (Link Here)
- Via Jon Weisman at Dodger Insider; "Dodgers announce first seven bobbleheads for 2017."
- Carson Cistulli at FanGraphs shares their; "2017 ZiPS Projections – Los Angeles Dodgers."
- Awesome! Via Mike Oz at Big League Stew; "Opening 25-year-old baseball cards with Clayton Kershaw."
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA; "Back injury could sideline Trayce Thompson at start of spring training: Outfielder recovering from back injury, last played on July 10."
- Via Austin Laymance at MLB.com; "Friedman talks Puig's upside, LA's offseason."
On Puig: "No, no. I think the upside is significant, and I think there's a lot more awareness of kind of what's expected," Friedman said at Dodger Stadium. "I definitely see some real maturation. In terms of how that translates on the field and success remains to be seen. But he's capable of so much, and I know his teammates want to see him achieve that, we want to see him achieve that, and we'll do everything we can to put him in a position to do that."
- This relationship makes me feel uneasy. Via Business Wire at Yahoo Finance; "Business and Sports Leaders Frank H. McCourt Jr. and Mark Walter Expand Partnership with Launch of McCourt Partners Investment Platform."
Initially focused on real estate development, the joint venture made significant investments in flagship development projects in New York City, London, Miami, and Austin totaling more than 5.5 million square feet. Going forward, McCourt Partners will have an expanded mandate to invest in an array of sectors ranging from real estate to finance, and other private equity opportunities.
- Check out the list of 30 rookies who will have a Baseball card in next seasons 2017 Topps Series 1 Baseball card set, via Blowout Buzz. It includes Jose De Leon. Unfortunately, we do not have a preview pic to look at.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *