I love this photo.
Featured is some in-game action on an International News press photo taken by Arthur Sasse (known for his pic of Albert Einstein sticking his tongue out), dated October 4, 1952. (eBay Auction Link) Per the descriptor on the reverse:
Yankee left fielder Gene Woodling scrambles safely back to seconf as Dodger Billy Cox's throw to Hodges beats Hank Bauer in the second inning of the fourth World Series Game. Cox took Bauer's grounder, bluffed Woodling back to second and the nipped Bauer.Unfortunately, the Dodgers would lose this game, 2-0, and eventually lose the series in seven games to the Yanks.
Below are more links to check out:
- Happy Birthday, Bill Schardt, Bill Zimmerman & Cecil Espy!
- RIP. "Former Dodger pitching coach Red Adams passes away at 95," per Jon Weisman at Dodger Insider.
- Dodgers Job Posting: LADF Associate - LOS ANGELES DODGERS FOUNDATION (2017 LA DODGERS FOUNDATION ASSOCIATES PROGRAM)
- This news first broke last year. Per an AP report; "Two Dodgers security guards arrested on theft charges." These guys apparently took some equipment and uniforms, and sold them into the secondary market. If I remember right their capture was an elaborate setup where the team, after realizing that stuff had gone missing, placed hidden cameras in discreet locations and caught them in the act.
- Keith Law at ESPN ranks the Dodgers farm as the fifth best in Baseball (Link Here):
There are systems that run deeper in likely regulars, because those teams have been able to focus just on building without having to balance that and contention, but for a team this good to have this kind of star potential in full-season ball is remarkable.
- Baseball America's online newsletter makes note of Dodger prospect O'Koyea Dickson in the Mexican Winter Leagues (link here):
Dickson, a 12th-round pick in 2011 from Sonoma State, had by far his best pro season in 2016 and has carried that into winter ball in Mexico. In a semifinal playoff game Wednesday for Hermosillo, Dickson, 26, was 3-for-4 with two homers and four RBIs in a 7-2 win over Mexicali. The best-of-seven series is tied 3-3 with Game Seven Thursday night. Dickson has plus bat speed and a sound swing and it seems only a late-season quad injury kept him from making his major league debut.
- Blowout Buzz provides an early peek at Topps 2017 Heritage Baseball card set; including the Clayton Kershaw card on the right. Go here to check out more pics. This set goes live on May 31st.
- Per Ken Rosenthal at FoxSports; "The Dodgers are looking all over the place for a second baseman."
Most of the Dodgers’ preferences are not known, but they’ve spoken with the Rangers about infielder Jurickson Profar, sources said. Two other switch-hitting second basemen — the Phillies’ Cesar Hernandez and Nationals’ Wilmer Difo -– would be potential fits, but it is not confirmed that they actually are on the Dodgers’ radar.
The Dodgers also could turn back to Chase Utley, but they would prefer a right-handed hitter, likely decreasing their interest in two other free agents, Stephen Drew and Dustin Ackley, as well.
- The newest issue of Baseball America features Cody Bellinger on the cover, via Baseball America on twitter. Check it out below.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *