On Saturday both Dave Roberts and Corey Seager received their respective awards from the Writers Association of American annual dinner. As you know Roberts was named the "Manager of the Year" and Seager won the "Rookie of the Year" awards.
As you may know, Dave Roberts battled cancer, Hodgkin lymphoma, several years ago, so he made the point of talking about it. Per Mark Newman at MLB.com:
"Jed Hoyer is here, and he's one of my very good friends," Roberts said of the Cubs general manager, sitting at a nearby table. "As I was going through cancer in 2010, he gave me a job as a Padres special assistant to him. Baseball got me through it. Jed, I really appreciate you giving me some off-days to go through chemo and get through it. We're here."Photo above via @Dodgers on twitter. Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1932 the Brooklyn Dodgers traded for future Hall of Famer Hack Wilson (during the tail end of his career) for a minor leaguer and some cash. In 1962 Jackie Robinson, along with Bob Feller, are selected for the Baseball Hall of Fame in their first years of eligibility.
- Happy Birthday, Joey Amalfitano & Billy Mullen!
- The first leg of the Dodgers Love L.A. Community Tour begins today.
This afternoon Joc Pederson will be at the Silverlake Dog Park at 1863 Silver Lake Boulevard(weather permitting) to meet with fans and their dogs. There will be photos and giveaways. UPDATE: This event has been cancelled due to rain and will be rescheduled. Stay tuned for more information.
- Video: MLB Network names Clayton Kershaw of the Dodgers first among starting pitchers in the league right now (Link Here).
- Video: Dodgers shortstop Corey Seager accepts his NL Rookie of the Year award at the Esurance BBWAA Awards Dinner in New York (Video Link).
- Video: Sharon Robinson presents Dodgers manager Dave Roberts with the NL Manager of the Year award at the Esurance BBWAA Awards Dinner (Video Link).
- Per Matthew Moreno at Dodger Blue; "2017 MLB Draft: Dodgers’ Top Pick Locked In At No. 23 Overall."
- Some funny stuff. Per Daniel Brim at Dodgers Digest; "Important: Kenta Maeda Can’t Draw."
- Dodgers prospect Cody Bellinger tops MLB Pipelines list of top first base prospects, per Mike Rosenbaum at MLB.com.
- Per Jacob Rudner at Think Blue LA; "Off-season report: Ross Stripling."
“My goal headed into the season is just to build on what I was able to do last year,” Stripling said. “Whether I’m in a starting position or a relief role, I was able to have different successes and failures in each and just want to learn from what went right and wrong and build on it. I know what it takes to be a starter, to be in a long-relief role or to come in and get one or two outs because I’ve done it all. So hopefully that gives me experience and confidence that I’m able to build on and use it to get big league hitters out consistently.”
- Via Nick Diunte at Baseball Happenings; "How Red Adams turned a devastating injury into a five decade journey in baseball."
- An Old Friend Alert. Via Jon Heyman at FanRag Sports Network; "Rangers sign James Loney to minor-league deal."
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *