In honor of his debut in a Dodger uniform I made the above two fantasy baseball cards for Michael Gonzalez. As you may know, 17-year old Gonzalez signed a one-day contract with the Dodgers yesterday as part of the Make-A-Wish Foundation. You can find out more about Michael here.
The photos used above via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2017. Go here to check out more pics by Jon from yesterday game. Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1925 Charles Ebbets, the Dodgers owner and president, dies of an heart attack on the morning of his teams home opener at Ebbets Field. In 1939 Red Barber announces the first ever regular season Dodger game to be broadcast in Brooklyn. In 1946 Jackie Robinson makes his debut as a second baseman for the Montreal Royals. He belts a home runs and three singles. In 1947 Burt Shotten is named the Dodgers manager - replacing Leo Durocher who was suspended by the league ten days prior. In 1950 Vin Scully calls his very first game as a Dodgers broadcaster. In 1952 Willie Mays is knocked unconscious when he runs in to the Ebbets Field outfield wall while making a game saving catch. In 1958 Los Angeles holds a downtown parade for the the Dodgers before their first home game at the Coliseum. A National League record 78,672 fans crowd the stadium to watch their new team defeat the soon-to-be-hated Giants, 6-5. In 1964 Sandy Koufax throws his second career Immaculate Inning - three strike outs on nine pitches during one inning. In 1966 Maury Wills becomes the first batter to get a hit on artificial grass - a single off of Robin Roberts at the Astrodome. In 2008 the Dodgers announce that Joe Beimel had been selected by fans to get a bobblehead.
- Happy Birthday, Hughie Hearne, Tommy McMillan, Nick Polly, Bobby Castillo, Jim Eisenreich & Brady Clark!
- Cat Loves the Dodgers shares a bunch of her pics from Jackie Robinson Day here.
- ICYMI: Rich Hill is placed on the 10-day DL due to an uncooperative blister. Rob Segedin is called up in his place. Per Ken Gurnick at MLB.com:
"Put it this way -- (Hill) was shut down all winter and it came back," said Roberts. "We had no problem with it.Then in his first start, it showed its ugly face again. You could argue that resting it isn't the solution. He had as much rest as he could. There wasn't a sign of it until he made his first start. That third finger is really important for that breaking ball. That's just the way it is."
- If I were much younger and still in school I would apply for this job. Here is a new job posting just listed by the Dodgers: Associate, Planning & Development - Part Time (Link Here) Duties include chronicling collection of baseball artifacts, memorabilia, photographs and print graphics displayed throughout the stadium. Wow!
- Via Chris Landers at MLB.com; "Here is some footage from Jackie Robinson's groundbreaking first game in the Majors."
- Per Jonathan Mayo at MLB.com; three Dodger prospect earn MLBPipeline.com's Prospect Team of the Week honors -- Carlos Rincon, Brendon Davis and Cody Bellinger.
It looks like Bellinger is starting off his first full season of Triple-A the way he finished things in 2016: red hot. The 21-year-old got hits in eight of his 10 games played since the start of the season, with five of them of the multihit variety. He hit his first home run of the season in game 3 on April 8, then added another two on the 13th and 16th. Bellinger has driven in runs in four straight games and has even gone 4-for-4 in stolen-base attempts.
- MLB is currently running auction in benefit to the Jackie Robinson Foundation. It includes team autographed #42 jersey's for every MLB team. Go here to check it out. On the right is a look at the Dodger jersey up for sale.
- Per Yasiel Puig at MLB.com; "In My Words: Puig growing as ballplayer, man."
It's no secret that being a professional baseball player has been a process for me, and I have to thank Adrian Gonzalez for keeping me on track. It's know it's hard for him to support me and try to guide me when I haven't listened in the past, but I feel like I'm finally paying attention and I've been playing better baseball and learning because of it. When you're on the field, you can get caught in the moment and you lose track of things, but Adrian and all my teammates haven't given up on me and for that I am very grateful. They deserve the best of me in return.
- Per Matthew Moreno at Dodger Blue; "Quakes’ Mitchell White Named California League Pitcher Of The Week To Start 2017 Season."
- This is an important read for autograph collectors. Per Paul Lesko's “Law of Cards" column at Cardboard Connection; "California’s Autographed Memorabilia Law."
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *