Corey Seager was presented with the Silver Slugger Award prior to last nights game. I'm sure it'll be one of many he'll receive in the future.
As for the game, the Dodgers' troubles against lefties continues. Last night they got blanked by Padres left-hander Clayton Richards. Per Ken Gurnick at MLB.com:
"Last year, we didn't hit lefties," said manager Dave Roberts, whose club was 22-24 against left-handed starters in 2016. "This year, I think we have a completely different mindset."Unfortunately, that mindset didn't deliver.
Photo at the very top via @Dodgers on twitter. Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1913 25,000 fans watched the Dodgers play their first game at their new home, Ebbets Field. It was an exhibition match that saw Brooklyn defeat the Yankees, 3-2. Superbas (Dodgers) outfielder Casey Stengel (the future famed Yankees manager) hit the first home run at the stadium -- an inside-the-park homer in the fifth inning.
- Happy Birthday, Héctor Olivera & Greg Smith!
- Video: Join Maria Serrao as she finds out from Dodger President of Baseball Operations Andrew Friedman how he feels on Opening Day..and where he is during the game... (Video Link)
- Video: Hear from Dave Roberts after the Dodgers fall to the Padres 4-0 on Tuesday night. (Video Link)
- Video: Hear from Kenta Maeda after allowing six hits and three earned runs in the Dodgers loss to the San Diego Padres on Tuesday night. (Video Link)
- Cat Loves the Dodgers shares a bunch of great pics from yesterdays game, here.
- This is fantastic news. Per Cary Osborne at Dodger Insider; "Mota: Guerrero is improving after stroke."
“She told me he’s moving and shaking her hand tight,” said Mota, Guerrero’s longtime friend who said the former power-hitting infielder/outfielder is like a son. “That was a good sign. She said he was feeling better and was glad when he squeezed her hands.”
JP Hoornstra at the OC Register also add that he is also now out of ICU (link here).
- Via Eno Sarris at FanGraphs; "About Clayton Kershaw’s Changeups."
The raw PITCHf/x data doesn’t indicate that Kershaw threw any changeups against the Padres, but see those 85 mph pitches with arm-side movement? That’s what those are, most likely. And there’s a dot or two above them between 85 and 90 that might be changeups, too. According to Brooks Baseball, Kershaw threw only six changeups all of last year. Now it’s possible he’s thrown nearly that many on Opening Day. This requires further investigation.
- Eric Stephen at True Blue LA shares the Opening Day rosters for Class-A Rancho Cucamonga Quakes (here), Double-A Tulsa Drillers (here), and Triple-A Oklahoma City Dodgers (here). Additionally, William Boor at MLB.com tells us, "Where the Dodgers' Top 30 prospects are starting the season."
- Per Ken Gurnick at MLB.com; "New broadcaster (Joe) Davis honored by warm welcome."
"I didn't really fear this happening, but deep down I was wondering -- am I going to get booed?" Davis said on Tuesday. "I mean, it's not Vin up there, it's some other guy they're turning around to salute. So, not only did I not get a negative reaction, but to have them cheer, it was one of the special moments of my entire life."
- Via Josh Criswell at AM570 LA Sports; "Yasiel Puig 'doesn't have to be a franchise player' for Dodgers."
Via Dodgers GM Farhan Zaidi: "He doesn't have to be a franchise player here. He just needs to be the Gold Glove defender he is in right field, and if he happens to hit .260, .270 with 20 to 25 homers, that's pretty good from an eight-hole hitter."
- Per JP Hoornstra at the OC Register; "Dodgers' Justin Turner is happy when he's pull-happy."
“I actually went to Andrew (Friedman, the Dodgers’ president of baseball operations) and I said, what do you got? I’ve tried all kinds of stuff, what do you got?
“He was the one who made the suggestion: ‘look, you’re getting great at-bats, you’re hitting balls hard, you’re just not pulling as many balls as you did the last two years. Maybe you just try to change your sights and get back to left-center.’ ”
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *