Will we be able to replace the Cliff Lee photo above with him in Dodger Blue?
Jon Morosi at FoxSports provides the news that the Dodgers did in fact submit a claim for Cliff Lee and they were first in line. So, all that remains is for the Phillies to make the next move. They can either:
- Remove him from the waiver wire in order to keep him,
- Let the Dodgers take him for no additional compensation to them (thereby allowing the Dodgers to take over the remaining portion of his contract), or
- Make a deal with the Dodgers, via a trade.
In the best of all worlds, the Phillies can just let him come to Los Angeles, so they can have some payroll room for next season. More likely, they will try to finagle a deal to get a prospect or two for him. Considering the value of Lee's back-loaded contract, I can't imagine we would be willing to give up too much. On the other hand, nothing may come of this.
UPDATE: A buddy of mine suggested sending Billingsley to the Phillies for Lee since we appear to be filled up in the starting rotation. I'm not sure if I like this idea, but could probably be persuaded to see it as a good idea. What do you think?
FYI, Lee is owed $11Mil for this season, $25Mil over the next 3 season, and $27.5Mil vesting option in 2016 (or a $12.5Mil buyout). That final year becomes guaranteed with 200 innings pitched in 2015 or 400 innings pitched in 2014-15.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *