The Kershaw's and some friends just arrived in Zambia for the opening of Hope's Home- a children's orphanage they started and is funded by Kershaw's Challenge. Go here for the story from the Dodgers PR blog. Also Kershaw's Challenge blog also has a complete story, here.
On Thanksgiving, the Zambian government approved the first 8 kids to move into Hope’s Home. These children are experiencing running water, electricity, flushing toilets and sleeping on a mattress for the first time in their lives. More importantly, they now have three house mothers who provide three meals a day, administer HIV medications and just simply, care about them.Check out other Dodgers related stories below.
- Evan Bladh at Opinion of Kingman's Performance tells us about watching Roberto Clemente at Dodger Stadium when he was 9 years old. Clemente had a 5-hit game.
- Christopher Jackson at Examiner.com provides a Dodgers Winter League update.
- The Dodgers Winter Development MiniCamp will be held next week in Arizona. 13 Dodger prospects have been invited to attend. Ken Gurnick at MLB.com has the news; including a list of all of the players.
This will be the sixth year of the minicamp, which is designed to take the best and brightest of the farm system, accelerate their Major League arrival and aid acclimation to what they will encounter when they get there.
Among earlier participants are Clayton Kershaw and Kenley Jansen. Vice president of player development De Jon Watson's minicamp also allows club officials to get a line on each player's conditioning prior to Spring Training and to tweak flaws in a pitcher's delivery or a hitter's swing before the start of the real camp, where the player is focused on making the club.
They receive coaching on baseball skills, but also are instructed in aspects of Major League Baseball that should be essential but often are overlooked, from media relations to security issues to interaction with fans and the importance of community outreach.
- Paul LoDuca, on twitter, is running a contest that includes free admission tickets and free autographs from him in relation to the SoCal Baseball and Sports Collectors Expo on the weekend of the 11th through 13th of January. All you have to do is tweet a favorite memory. Go here for info.
- AJ Ellis is one funny guy on twitter- not that he isn't funny in real life. Actually I wouldn't know. Anyway, he responded to a Steve Dilbeck article that took a look at Dodgers' New Year Resolution
A.J. Ellis: Snarl at bloggers who ask dumb postgame questions.
- Saturday, January 26th is the 4th Annual SABR Day! Go here for a listing of events happening around the country.
- A Reddit thread by KustomDeluxe shares a pic of current renovations at Dodger Stadium. Notice the big hole in the field level area for the new clubhouse area and the scoreboard in the distance. Main source is via DodgersBeat on facebook.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *