Also, I'm obviously late in announcing these two first picks on this blog as I was cheering on the Kings at the Staples Center last night. Unfortunately, I came home in a unruly mood as the Kings lost a tight one, 3 to 2.
Anyway, the Dodgers selected Chris Anderson with the 18th pick. He is a right-handed pitcher from Jacksonville University, stands a tall 6' 4", and is said to throw three plus pitches - a fastball, curve and slider.
“We’re extremely excited to have selected a player of Chris’ ability level,” said Dodger Vice President, Amateur Scouting Logan White. “He’s a big physical young man with three quality Major League pitches and a bulldog-competitive makeup to go with it.”Via Justin Barney at the Florida Times-Union:
“I knew a couple minutes prior. I couldn’t hold back any emotion,” said Anderson, a Lino Lakes, Minn. native, who was watching the draft with friends and family back home. “Soon as the pick was made, it was just … it feels great. I know that it’s just one of those things at the end of the day. My goal isn’t just to be a first-round pick. My goal is to get to the big leagues, and this is just another step to get me to do that. JU’s had a lot of guys have success [in the major leagues], and I want to be one of those guys as well.”It sounds like he is ready to sign. BTW, Chris Anderson has a twitter account at @SeeAyy. Go and check out these links for more background on Anderson.
- Jon Weisman at Dodger Thoughts has a great rundown of what some experts say about him.
- Chad Moriyama also has some additional information; including video.
- Dustin Nosler at Feelin' Kinda Blue has more and another video.
- Here is the Jacksonville University biography page for Anderson.
Tom Windle was the Dodgers' 56th pick in the 2013 Draft. He is a also 6'4", and a left-handed pitcher from the University of Minnesota - a cold weather Baseball environment. Hence, the presence of snow in the photo I used above for his fantasy Baseball card. Go ahead and follow Tom on twitter at @tomwindle38.
Proud to be selected by the LA Dodgers!!!
— Tom Windle (@tomwindle38) June 7, 2013
Via Tyler Mason at Fox Sports North:
"I think he has a chance to play the game for a while and has a chance to play at the next level if he stays healthy and continues to develop like he has," Gophers coach John Anderson said earlier this year. "He's got great makeup, great poise on the mound. He's got a quiet confidence to him. I think he's got the intangibles. I think he's got what it takes from the neck up."Go and check out these links for more background on Windle.
- Chad Moriyama has a nice rundown on what the experts think.
- Mike Rosenbaum at the Bleacher Report has their own analysis.
- Here is John Sickels at Minor League Ball report on Tom Windle.
- Suber10 at the Crawfish Boxes has another great draft report on Windle.
- Here's an interview Windle gave to Twin Cities.com after a game in late May.
- Here is the University of Minnesota biography page for Windle. BTW, as a sophomore in college he is still has not decided a major. My guess is that it'll be Baseball.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *