Paco Rodriguez with the win last night. Pic above via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2013.
- Via Steve Han at KoreAm, "August Cover Story: The Longest, Most In-Depth Story Ever Written About Dodgers Star Pitcher Hyun-Jin Ryu".
“I hated giving up walks since I was really young,” Ryu says. “It’s been ingrained in my head since then because my dad always told me, ‘You can give up home runs, but not walks.’ I think that’s what helped me to have the kind of control I have over my pitches now.”
- Via Joe Sheehan at the Daily Gammons, "Dodgers, History; History, Dodgers".
Generally, though, playing .800 ball for two months isn’t a fluke. Some of the greatest teams in baseball history — those ’01 Mariners, the ’75 Reds, the ’54 Indians, the ’39 Yankees, the ’29 A’s — are on the list of teams to have pulled it off. That’s the company the Dodgers keep now — and they were 32-40 when they started this run.
- Jon Weisman at Dodger Thoughts recounts the 8-game losing streak we had just before going 39-8 to break franchise records.
- Via Tim Dierkes at MLB Trade Rumors, "Cuban Pitcher Hinojosa Granted Free Agency," and the Dodgers are thought to be interested.
- "Dee Gordon: Some Perspective on the Struggles of a Shortstop," via Howard Cole at LA Weekly.
- Bill Shaikin at LA Times, "Adrian Gonzalez has 2 hometown teams in Little League World Series".
- Tony Jackson at Dodger Scribe provides a couple of postgame videos. First, here's Don Mattingly. Then, Andre Ethier. And if you want to relive last night's magic here are some game videos via MLB.com. Here is Puig's rifle throw to get Byrd at 3rd. The Dodgers score their first run on a fielder's choice. Jerry Hairston drives in a run to make it 4 to 2. Andre ties it in the 9th with a 2-run home run. Check out Puig's leg-double to get into scoring position. Then watch Adrian Gonzalez's game winning double to drive Puig in. Lastly, here is Adrian's postgame Gatorade shower. BTW, Bobby at DodgerFilms filmed himself dropping Andre Ethier's game-tying home run. Sorry, Bobby!
- The past couple of months have been ridiculous. It's hard to believe this is actually happening. This team refuses to lose, and it's becoming clear that no deficit it too great to overcome. Please don't pinch me.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *