Sandy Koufax was in the Dodger clubhouse yesterday. Pic via Jon SooHoo/Dodgers 2013. See more pics from Jon here. BTW, you can listen to Sandy on the Freddie Coleman show talk about pitching in Chicago, right here.
- Stephen Fife has been reinstated to the Dodgers to pitch this afternoon. Scott Van Slyke has been optioned back to AAA.
- "Dodger Stadium groundskeeper Eric Hanson talks about the field's conversion for soccer," via Adam Serrano at LAGalaxy.com.
HANSON: “We started immediately after the Yankees/Dodgers game on Wednesday at 10:45 p.m.. We spent three hours doing what we needed to do to prep the field for the sod that was installed early on Thursday morning. From that point on, we did detail work and looked at the grass closely, and then attended to anything that we think might help. Now the lines have been painted and the goals have come in, so it is completely set up.”
- "Assistant pitching coach Howell back with Dodgers," via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com.
"It was more serious than I thought and it took a while to get my energy back," he said. "But I feel really good now. I just have to monitor it, because with diabetes anything can pop up. I'm getting back on the field today and I'm excited to get to do what I do.
- Paint the Corners goes through many different iterations of Brian Wilson and his facial hair.
- BTW, the Dodgers placed Brandon League on waivers, via Zach Links at MLB Trade Rumors. So, the Dodgers are willing to trade him, but are other teams willing to take on his contract? I doubt it. Besides, he's finally pitching well.
- "Chipper, Big Unit, Rip, Pedro, Coach Lou and Yasiel Puig Among Those at NSCC Saturday," via Rich Mueller at Sports Collectors Daily.
- The lucky collector who won a Panini VIP pass from Blowout Cards talks about the win and who she most looks forward to meeting. That's right, she can't wait to meet Yasiel Puig. See the video here.
- "Jackie Robinson’s Rookie of the Year Award selling for $1 million: Historic prize available at Chicago convention" via By Ted Berg at USA Today.
- There was a nice large crowd last night for some soccer at Dodger Stadium.
40,681 at Dodger Stadium tonight for @IntChampionsCup #ICC2013 #RealMadrid #Everton #LAGalaxy #Juventus
— Dodgers PR (@DodgersPR) August 4, 2013
- Here's a look at the pitch.
Europe's pastime in the home of America's pastime: pic.twitter.com/QpxkgjL5uz
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) August 4, 2013
- Bill Plunkett of the OC Register has more info on Puig's hand injury on Sulia.
"I'm not really sure how to describe it," Puig said through his translator. "I've felt something like this before when I dove for a ball."
That was during his brief stay with Double-A Chattanooga. Puig dove for a ball in late April and came up with a sprained left thumb. He missed 10 games on the DL with the injury.
This feels "better than it did there," Puig said.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *