Above is a pic from yesterday's press conference with Colletti and Mattingly. Photo via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2013. Go here for pics from him from yesterday. It includes something very different. There are pics of much of the press corps.
- ICYMI: I shared a vintage letter written by Jackie Robinson to Dodgers GM Buzzie Bavasi, and it was not kind. The letter was like his last goodbye to the ballclub.
- "Did Don Mattingly just talk his way out of Los Angeles?" Via Tony Jackson at Dodger Scribe. As you may know, the Dodgers held a press conference yesterday with Mattingly and Ned Colletti. It did not go well, and by all accounts was very uncomfortable. Don Mattingly wants a long-term deal.
- Mark Saxon at ESPN followup with, "Don Mattingly: Not in ideal position".
"When you're put in this situation, the organization basically says, 'We don't know if you can manage or not,'" Mattingly said. "So, that's the position I've been in all season long, so that's not a great position for me as a manager. That's the way it is, that's the way the organization wanted it last year, that's fine."
- Matt Kemp had surgery on his ankle yesterday. Per a Dodgers email to the press:
The surgery was performed by Dr. Robert Anderson in Charlotte, North Carolina.
The procedure was done arthroscopically and involved removing several spurs, a loose body and doing a microfracture on the talus bone. Kemp will be in a splint for two weeks and a non-weight bearing boot for an additional two weeks. He is expected to be competitive in time for the regular season.
- Dodgers trainer Sue Falsone is no longer with the Dodgers, via a tweet from Ramona Shelburne of ESPN.
Dodgers trainer Sue Falsone is no longer with the organization
— Ramona Shelburne (@ramonashelburne) October 21, 2013
Eric Stephen at True Blue LA has more on her leaving.
"It is with a heavy heart to say that I will not be returning to the LA Dodgers in order to pursue other opportunities within my career."
- The Dodgers do some firing. Per a Jon Heyman tweet.
Sources: #dodgers fire bench coach trey hillman and advance scout wade taylor. The 2 are close to mattingly.
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) October 22, 2013
- Chris Olds at Beckett takes a "Behind the Scenes" look at the making of World Series bats at the Louisville Slugger Factory.
- Do you remember this guy? The Baseball Professor names Andrew Lambo as his fantasy Baseball sleeper pick for 2014. Lambo was drafted by the Dodgers in 2007 and eventually traded to the Pirates in 2010.
- Here is some news about another Cuban ballplayer. As you know, highly regarding slugger Jose Abreu signed a huge deal with the White Sox this past weekend. Well, Chris Olds at Beckett let's us know that he will be making his debut appearance on a Topps card in their 2014 Bowman Set. See the card on the right.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *