Hyun-Jin Ryu knows hockey! Check out Ryu sporting a hockey stick in the bowels of Dodger Stadium, pic via @Dodgers on twitter.
- Greg Wyshynski at Puck Daddy recounts the time the Kings and Rangers played an exhibition outdoor hockey game in Las Vegas in 1991.
- Via AM570, "LISTEN: Stan Kasten -- L.A. Would Have Been A Good Fit For Masahiro Tanaka"
"We liked him a lot. We would've been happy to have him and let's face it, L.A. would've been a good fit for him as well." He added, "we bid where we thought where his value was, wasn't where the Yankees saw him, maybe it was need base, maybe it was evaluation base. Whatever it is, we're really comfortable looking forward to this next year."
- Via Jay Blue at Grading on the Curve writes, "Is Pitching a Religion? Conversions in 2013".
The Dodgers aren’t exactly afraid to convert players, especially since their closer, Kenley Jansen, started his career as a catcher. Pedro Baez, a former third baseman, began his conversion in 2013 and has had very good success so far, making it back to Double-A with a 3.88 ERA, 1.55 WHIP with 23 walks and 55 strikeouts in 58 innings split between High-A Rancho Cucamonga and Double-A Chattanooga.
- Here are a couple of more Dodger Minor League signing, via Matt Eddy of Baseball America on twitter.
#Dodgers sign four to minor league deals: OF Trayvon Robinson (original L.A. draft pick), 2B Ryan Adams, C Miguel Olivo and RHP Mark Pope.
— Matt Eddy (@MattEddyBA) January 24, 2014
- Brandon Warne at FanGraphs writes, "The Dodgers Outfield Situation is Pretty Good".
- Via Bruce Markusen at Hardball Times, "Card Corner: 1974 Topps: Willie Crawford".
In spite of all these shortcomings, I like this card very much. It is an action card that captures the strong musculature of a sculpted athlete like Crawford. It also captures the most difficult skill in the game of baseball: hitting the ball. Look at the awkward follow-through of Crawford’s swing. His hands are so close to his body that it appears he has been jammed by the pitcher’s fastball. The card epitomizes the difficulty of hitting a ball squarely.
- I think this is the most amazing tattoo, ever!
What do you guy think? pic.twitter.com/a0uB6OgUbI
— Mr.Dodgers Baseball⚾ (@mrdodger323) January 21, 2014
- So, are you eager for 2014 Topps Series 1 Baseball cards? Well, you'll have to wait til Wednesday. In the meantime, Chris Olds at Beckett has a complete checklist that you can download. Check it out here.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *