How touching. Good friends reunited. Pic via @Dodgers on twitter.
- Dodger photographer Jon SooHoo shares a bunch of pics from the first day of the Dodger Community Caravan at Children's Hostipal Los Angeles (CHLA). See a pic of Matt Kemp and Kenny Landreaux on the right. Go here to see more. Jon Weisman at Dodger Insider follows up with a great story, "As Matt Kemp knows, there are challenges, and then there are challenges".
“There’s a little bit of a backstory to it. I had a little brother, growing up — he was sick, he was always in the hospital and he later passed. Just coming to the hospital for me is pretty tough. The smell of a hospital reminds me of my little brother. Coming to see some of these kids, hooked up to these machines, it just takes me back. It’s definitely tough just to come here and see some of this stuff. But it’s what I guess I was born to do, and it’s nice to do and puts everything in perspective.”
- Mark Saxon at ESPN asks five questions about the Dodgers' bullpen.
- Eephus Blue has just finished up a great new t-shirt design focused on AJ Ellis and Clayton Kershaw as Calvin & Hobbes inspired characters. It's awesome, and I suggest going here to check it out.
- Via Chad Dotson at Hardball Times, "The improbable career of Dazzy Vance". He was a former Brooklyn Dodger who came out of nowhere to be a successful pitcher in his 30's.
As Bill James noted in his Historical Baseball Abstract, no one knows the exact procedure performed by this random New Orleans doctor. James speculated that bone chips and debris were cleared out of the elbow. Whatever the doctor did, the pain was gone and Vance could suddenly throw hard again.
- Please send along your prayers and best wished to Dodgers organist Nancy Bea Hefley. Her husband will be having heart surgery in a couple of weeks, per her twitter @NancyBea.
- Via Josh Tucker at Dodger Insider, "Vin Scully, Clayton Kershaw reap awards from Southern California Sports Broadcasters".
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA, "Steve Garvey has jersey retired at Michigan State on Sunday".
- Via Ron Cervenka at Think Blue LA, "MLB Urban Youth Academy to launch Black History Month activities".
In recognition of Black History Month, the second annual Compton Community Day will be celebrated Saturday, February 1 at the MLB Urban Youth Academy in Compton, featuring dignitaries representing Major League Baseball and the City of Compton.
- David Laurila at FanGraphs has a Q&A with Hall of Famer Tom Glavine.
- Ryan G at Chaos and Kanji recently visited the Japan Hall of Fame and shares a bunch of pics to prove it.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *