The Dodgers have decided to add a 12th bobblehead to their 2014 promotional schedule, and it's of AJ Ellis. Per a Dodgers press release:
As part of their 2014 promotional schedule, the Los Angeles Dodgers will add an A.J. Ellis bobblehead. The first 50,000 fans in attendance on September 7 (vs. ARI) will receive an Ellis bobblehead. This marks the catcher's first Dodger Stadium bobblehead.Better yet, this new bobble appears to be a belated birthday gift to AJ's wife, Cindy. She tweeted this out a few days ago (Hat Tip: Josh Tucker at Dodger Insider).
Ellis has served as the Dodgers' starting catcher for the past two years and is entering his 11th season with the organization after he was selected in the 18th round of the 2003 draft. The hard-working backstop guided the Dodgers' pitching staff to the Majors' second-lowest team ERA last year (3.25), when the club's hurlers established a franchise record for strikeouts (1,292), and ranked second among MLB qualifiers by throwing out 40.7% of runners attempting to steal. At the plate, Ellis tied for third on the club with a career high-tying 52 RBI and hit 10 homers in 2013, including a game-winning solo shot on Sept. 19 at Arizona in the Dodgers' division-clinching victory. In the postseason, the 32-year-old batted .323 with four doubles, a triple, a home run and three RBI, while catching every inning of the Dodgers' 10 playoff games.
All I want for my birthday is an @AJEllis17 bobblehead! Make it happen @Dodgers
— Cindy Ellis (@Cindyluellis) January 25, 2014
You sure can't beat that kind of turnaround. Seemingly, with a lead-time of just a few days the Dodgers react and respond to Cindy's wishes and make her dream come true. Congrats, Cindy! And Congrats, Dodger fans!
This is a great announcement.
BTW, this new bobble will be the 12th bobblehead the team will give out this coming season. Check out a list of Dodger bobbles below, and check out a complete promotional schedule here:
- Clayton Kershaw on April 24 (vs. PHI);
- Yasiel Puig on May 13 (vs. MIA);
- Hyun-Jin Ryu on May 27 (vs. CIN);
- Hello Kitty Mini Bobblehead on June 3 (vs. White Sox);
- Tommy Lasorda on June 14 (vs. ARI);
- Brian Wilson - Fan Vote bobblehead - on June 26 (vs. STL);
- Pee Wee Reese and Roy Campanella (Coliseum moment; 1959) on July 12 (vs. SD);
- Steve Garvey, Ron Cey, Dusty Baker, Reggie Smith (30 HR same season) on July 31 (vs. ATL);
- Zack Greinke on August 20 (vs. SD);
- Magic Johnson on September 2 (vs. WAS);
- AJ Ellis on September 7 (vs. ARI); and
- Babe Ruth (first base coach in Brooklyn; 1938) on September 9 (vs. SD).
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *