Throughout Spring Training the Dodgers PR department sends out helpful daily notes from Camelback Ranch, and I am happy to pass them along. See what they've written below.
|(pic via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2014)|
BACK AT IT: With the club’s pitchers back at Camelback Ranch – Glendale after a scheduled day off, the Dodgers held their third official workout of 2014. Among pitchers who threw bullpens today were Dan Haren, Josh Beckett, Chad Billingsley, Brian Wilson, Stephen Fife, Chris Perez, J.P. Howell, Pedro Baez and Jarret Martin, in addition to non-roster invitee Carlos Frias.
- On Field 6 of the minor league side of the complex, 2013 Cy Young Award winner Clayton Kershaw threw to hitters for the first time. Last season, Kershaw became the 17th all-time pitcher to win multiple Cy Young Awards and also won his third consecutive MLB ERA title (1.83) as he became the first Major Leaguer to do so since Greg Maddux (1993-95) and the first-ever Dodger to accomplish the feat. The left-hander has the lowest all-time career ERA (2.60) among pitchers with more than 1,000.0 innings pitched and 100 games started since the start of the live ball era in 1920.
- Also facing live batters on the backfields today were right-handers Seth Rosin and Ross Stripling.
|(Matt Kemp and Hanley Ramirez, pic via @Dodgers on twitter)|
NRI SPOTLIGHT: Among seven non-roster hurlers is Ross Stripling, who enters 2014 rated by Baseball America as the Dodgers’ No. 10 prospect. The 24-year-old has a 9-4 record with a 2.47 ERA in 41 career games (34 starts) in two minor league seasons in the Dodger organization. During the course of his career, the right-hander has limited opposing hitters to a .229 batting average. Stripling hails from Southlake, TX.
|(Koufax is in town - with Don Mattingly, pic via @Dodgers on twitter)|
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!: Today, non-roster invitee Clint Robinson turns 29 years old. Born in Jefferson City, MO, Robinson enters his eighth professional season with a .301 career batting average, 123 home runs and 507 RBI in 802 career minor league games. Robinson spent the 2013 season in the Toronto organization, making stops at Double-A New Hampshire and Triple-A Buffalo, batting a combined .254 with 13 homers and 55 RBI in 111 games.
ALL DODGERS, ALL THE TIME: We’re just nine days away from the launch of SportsNet LA on February 25, the new 24-hour-a-day network of the Dodgers. SNLA will televise all of this year’s Dodger Cactus League games, with the exception of two split-squad games, giving fans more Spring Training coverage than ever before. In addition to airing games during Spring Training, SportsNet LA will also air a nightly show, “Access SportsNet: Dodgers,” at 7:00 p.m. PT.
- Friday, SNLA announced its additional programming with “Access SportsNet: Dodgers,” “Leadoff LA,” “Dodgers Clubhouse,” “Connected With,” “Talkin’ Blue,” “Dodgermentary,” “Timeless Dodgers” and “Dodgers Squeeze Play” all set to air starting Feb. 25. For more information, please visit www.ineedmydodgers.com.
|(Some "Backstage: Dodgers" footage, pic via @SportsNet LA on twitter)|
AMATEUR HOUR: Yesterday, the Minnesota Golden Gophers downed the Northern Illinois Huskies, 6-4, to improve to 2-0 on the season. The three-game series concludes today with a 1:00 p.m. game at the main stadium between Seth Rosin’s and Ned Colletti’s alma maters, with free admission and food and beverages available for purchase during the Dodgers’ workouts and the college games.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *