Dr. Frank Jobe's Memorial Service was held at Dodger Stadium yesterday. Featured above is Vin Scully opening up the ceremony. Pic via @Dodgers on twitter. An AP report of the event at the LA Times is here. Jon Weisman at Dodger Insider shares his report here; including video. You can check out a bunch of photos from Jon SooHoo here.
- Dave Cameron at FanGraphs writes, "A Thing Maybe Worth Noting: Kenley Jansen’s Velocity."
Yes, that top line is correct: PITCHF/x has already classified more 97+ mph pitches from Kenley Jansen this year than it did all of last year. Maybe more staggering is the cumulative percentage of the top three lines; of his pitches greater than 90 mph this year, 51% of them have been recorded at 95.0 mph or faster, compared to just 7.2% last year.
- Mark Langill at Dodger Insider writes about, "Mickey Rooney’s Dodger Stadium show." As you may know, Mickey Rooney passed away this weekend. RIP, Mickey Rooney.
- Are you kidding me? AJ Ellis to have surgery today, via a @Dodgers tweet last night. I suspect Tim Federowicz will be back. Jon Weisman at Dodger Insider has mroe information here.
#Dodgers catcher AJ Ellis is scheduled to undergo arthroscopic surgery on his left knee for a meniscus tear tomorrow morning in Los Angeles.
— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) April 8, 2014
AJ responded thusly:
Blown away yet unsurprised by support of @Dodgers fans. Have total confidence in Dr.ElAttrache and Med Dept to have me back on field ASAP
— AJ Ellis (@AJEllis17) April 8, 2014
- Via Mark Saxon at ESPNLosAngeles.com, "Like Ausmus, Ellis seems like future manager."
“I love the mental side of the game, the strategic part of the game,” Ellis said. “I love having conversations after the game, just learning from Don Mattingly and Tim Wallach and Rick Honeycutt and just trying to devour as much about this great game of baseball as I can.”
- I don't want to get too excited here, but I think Matt Kemp is back. Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA, "Matt Kemp: 'That's my swing right there'."
"My second home run, that's when I know I'm hitting the ball good, when I'm going to right field," Kemp said. "That's my swing right there."
- Via Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times, "Former Dodger Raul Mondesi says Yasiel Puig reminds him of himself."
“He’s still young,” Mondesi said. “People make mistakes when they start playing that young.
“They have to let him develop without putting too much pressure on him. Little by little, he’ll get to where he has to get and he’ll help the team win a lot of games.”
- Topps 2014 Gypsy Queen official goes live on Wednesday. Check out a bunch of preview pics from Topps facebook page, here. Check out a couple of Dodger cards below.
- Matthew Glidden at Number 5 Type Collection shares a card of Brooklyn Dodger Larry French from a 1975 TCMA set.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *