Some eager youngsters are captured reaching for some Baseballs by Dodger photographer Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2014.
- RIP, Don Zimmer. He was a great Baseball man and a great Dodger. Mark Langill at the Dodger Insider remembers Popeye, here. Check out a Dodger video featuring Vin Scully remembering Don here. Marty Noble at MLB.com also put together a great obit on him here. Left Field Pavilion made a great Zimmer fantasy Baseball card, here.
- Erin Edwards at Dodger Insider tells us that, "Josh Beckett(s) no-hitter game-used ball up for bid, benefiting Los Angeles Dodgers Foundation."
- The 2014 MLB Draft begins tonight. Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA, "Players linked to Dodgers in 1st round."
- Via Ted Berg at USA Today, "Yasiel Puig apologizes to anyone offended by his awesome play."
“I always go out to do my best and to enjoy myself on the field,” Puig said in Spanish. “I don’t do the things I do to bother anyone. If they have been bothered, I apologize again. I’m just trying to enjoy myself and give my best to the fans, who are spending their leisure time coming out to see us.”
- Via Ken Gurnick and Michael Lananna at MLB.com, "Mattingly trying to get club to play with singular goal."
"Tommy [Lasorda] says it all the time -- it seems corny at times, but we all have to get on one end of the rope and pull," Mattingly said Wednesday. "Anytime you've heard Tommy say that, it's absolutely true."
- Via Mark Saxon at ESPNLosAngeles.com, "Don Mattingly: 'We're just not that good.'"
But Mattingly did get in one more zinger, a profane one, when he was asked about the Dodgers' 13-19 record at Dodger Stadium.
"Well, home, away, whatever, I don’t know that that’s got anything to do with it," Mattingly said. "It’s just being basically s----. We’re just not that good."
I am increasingly concerned by this. In one sense, we clearly have the talent, but in another sense Mattingly is right. Maybe, we just aren't that good and it's time to make some moves to the roster, or maybe it's an issue of motivational leadership at the top. Maybe,we need to make the kind of change that tells the players to get their rear end in gear. Maybe, we get rid of some players and change the coach. It just seems more clear to me that a culture change is needed, and it might be best to cut off the heads of this two-headed dragon.
- Just Manny being Manny. Via Mike Oz at Big League Stew, "Manny Ramirez hits 450-foot homer, unleashes big bat flip in first 2014 game."
- Night Owl Cards shares some Dodger oddball Baseball cards.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *