It looks like Tommy Lasorda had a great time at the 2014 MLB Amateur Draft yesterday. Here he is with Mike Piazza, pic via @mikepiazza on twitter.
- Awesome! Jon SooHoo shares a couple of great vintage photos featuring Don Zimmer. Go here to check them out.
- I had a little too much fun with photoshop yesterday. Here's another fantasy card I made for 2014 Dodgers 1st Round Draft pick Grant Holmes sporting his Dodger Blue on the right. I used a photo tweeted out by @MLBNetwork. Click on the pic to embiggen. BTW, if you're wondering who the Dodgers compare Holmes to then check out what Eric Stephen writes. Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA, "Grant Holmes compared to Zack Greinke, Matt Cain, Chad Billingsley."
- David Brown at Big League Stew tells us about a story Vin Scully told the audience the other day - "Delay gives Vin Scully time to tell story of umpire with no thumb on left hand."
"Tony Venzon would keep the indicator in his right hand; and every time he would raise to look, I would think it's a strike. And I was really embarrassed — I wasn't trying to give the plate umpire a bad time at all — but every time he brought that right hand up, I thought it was a strike.
"So after the game, I thought I'd best to go down to meet that umpire and apologize."
- Bob Lemke shares some great vintage photos of Don Zimmer as a Dodger in 1957 that were once a part of the Topps archives.
- Josh Kosman at the NY Post, "LA Kings owner mulls sale of team." It's been known for some time (like, several years) that AEG would sell the team (it's on the down-low), but with the Clippers recent sale still fresh it appears they'll try to ride that coattail. If they ever sell the team I might have to worry about my season ticket prices going up. Until then, this is really old news.
- Topps is producing all kinds of different collectibles available only from them. Via Chris Olds at Beckett we find out about their 11" x 17" poster prints called the "My Hero" collection. There are 50 players available at $49.99 each or a complete set of 5" x 7.75" posters at $199.99. Also, the posters are limited to only 99 copies, so they will be scarce. The Dodger players available are Jackie Robinson and Yasiel Puig. Check them out below. Go here to check them out at Topps.com.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *