The Dodgers landed in St. Louis for their series against the Cardinals yesterday afternoon. Shown above is traveling secretary Scott Akasaki and Juan Uribe in the photo above, via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2014. BTW, if you're wondering what Scott Akasaki does as the traveling secretary then watch this helpful video.
- With the silly rumor season about to go into overdrive I think it's important to remember that 99% of all rumors you hear are a load of BS. You are not hearing any special insight. You are not getting "Inside Baseball" information. You are not getting a peek at closely held negotiations. I would suggest ignoring them all. THEY MEAN NOTHING! And, I assure you that most rumors are made up by bored reporters making unfounded assertions from innocent conversations so that they have something to write.
- Via Jeff Sullivan at FanGraphs, "Matt Kemp’s Wish is a Pitching Staff’s Nightmare." Kemp wants to be an everyday centerfielder, but it seems clear that this isn't likely on the Dodgers.
Matt Kemp would one day like to return to center field. That’s almost certainly not going to happen in Los Angeles. And one hopes that’s almost certainly not going to happen anywhere else, either. Kemp wasn’t a very good center fielder even before having a major operation, and pretty soon there’s going to be a 3 in front of his age. It’s not even clear he’s a particularly capable corner outfielder, and though his bat remains sufficiently intriguing to justify a trade pursuit, Kemp should probably be traded to a team in the American League that down the road could slot him in at DH. That might not be what Kemp wants, and that might be a future obstacle, but what Kemp wants could drive a pitching staff crazy. What Kemp wants would make his baseball team worse.
- Meanwhile, Jerry Hairston Jr. had an interesting take on comments made by Kemp's agent that lead to the story above, via a twitter conversation with a fan.
.@hung12low It's no big deal. Just his agents way of protecting his client. #la #Dodgers
— Jerry Hairston, Jr. (@TheRealJHair) July 17, 2014
- Last week, I mentioned that the Dodgers would be giving out commemorative no-hitter pins in September. Now, Jon Weisman at Dodger Insider has mockups of what they will look like here. They are definite must haves. See them below:
- Wow. You don't see this very often. The Albuquerque Isotopes had to forfeit a game last week, via Shaun P Kernahan at Grading on the Curve.
- Clary Osborne at Dodger Insider tells us how you can play fantasy football with the Dodgers... for reals!
“We’re all excited to share our passion of fantasy football to raise money for some great causes,” said Dodger catcher A.J. Ellis. “I’m looking forward to some good competition and a little trash talk in the Big Blue Fantasy Football League, but like all things I do, I’m playing to win, so bring your “A” game!”
- Via Christopher Jackson at Albuquerque Baseball Examiner, "Isotopes Notebook: Pederson enjoyed his All-Star experience."
“I think it was a pretty good experience,” Pederson said. “Any all-star game you go to is a special time. It’s an honor to represent the Isotopes and Dodgers in such an event.”
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *