Check out Fernando Valenzuela gazing upon a statue of himself that was erected this past weekend at Charros de Jalisco's ballpark in Guadalajara. Photo via @charrosbeisbol on twitter. As you can see, it features him looking to the heavens as he prepares his pitch.
Below are some links to check out:
- Mark Townsend at Big League Stew has more on Joc Pederson's car. It has been sold on eBay for $1,200.00. He also tells us a bit about the seller, who had purchased it from the winner on fan appreciation day in Albuquerque.
- Via Adam Berry at MLB.com, "Puig comes up big in Tokyo." You can also check out a bunch of pics from the game at Tokyo, here, from Dodger Insider Jon Weisman.
"The way they were attacking Yasiel in the first three games and really not giving him too much to hit, to put him in front of [Rockies first baseman Justin] Morneau was an opportunity for him to see some pitches. It worked out," MLB manager John Farrell said. "They threw the ball in the strike zone, and he responded with three hits tonight.
- Via J.P. Hoornstra at Inside the Dodgers, "Dodgers senior VP Josh Byrnes on Billy Gasparino, Ryan Jackson."
“Billy’s great,” Byrnes said. “Great resume as a player, scout; crosschecked for a long time. I think the skills we’re looking for — a good evaluator, running a draft. using all that information to make that decision.”
- Via Cary Osborne at Dodger Insider, "Adrian Gonzalez on the offseason, Julio Urias, baseball in Mexico and Canelo Alvarez."
“Julio is a young man who is an excellent pitcher. He pitches about 95 mph. He has a great curve as well. A lot of people feel that he has the potential of being one of the greatest pitchers in the Major Leagues,” Gonzalez said. “He’s a great guy, simple and very attentive. Even though I’ve known him for a short time, I hope we can start a great friendship. Our team expects a lot from Julio.”
- Via Jim Callis at MLB.com puts together a team-by-team breakdown of top performers in the 2014 Arizona Fall League
Best Prospect: After a rough AFL performance in 2013, shortstop Corey Seager played much better the second time around, batting .281/.354/.472 with a league-best 10 doubles. The 2014 Minor League leader in hitting (.349) and doubles (50), he'll produce for average and power but will likely have to move to third base. .
- Via TheThinGwynn at Gaslamp Ball, Topps is issueing a Johnny Manziel San Diego Padres autographed Baseball card.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *