I can't wait for the action to hit the field. So when I ran into this fantastic action photograph on eBay I knew I had to share it. Check out the auction here. Featured is June 1, 1958 Chicago Sun-Times press photo of LA Dodger shortstop Don Zimmer evading a sliding Lee Walls of the Cubs to complete a game-ending double play. As an added bonus, Hall of Fame umpire Jocko Conlan is in the foreground.
BTW, the photo was once a part of the George Michael collection. For those who don't know, George Michael was a legendary sports broadcaster. He had a weekly Sunday night sports highlight show on NBC in the 80's called "George Michael Sports Machine," and just about anyone obsessed with sports who didn't have cable watched it. For many of us it was the only way to see a full slate of highlights from sporting events throughout the country. Well, in the hobby he was known to be one of the more prolific collectors of action (specifically sliding plays) press photographs in the country, and the photo above is a classic example of what he chased after.
Below are some more links to check out:
- Here's your cute story of the day. Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com, "Kershaw goes eephus in proposal to wife." Gurnick tells us all about how Kershaw proposed to his wife.
- The Dodgers are hot on Moncada's trail, via a tweet from Ken Rosenthal yesterday:
Source: Moncada worked out today for #Dodgers in Clearwater, FL. A number of the team’s top executives were in attendance.
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) February 12, 2015
- Dave Cameron at FanGraphs ranks, "The Best Transactions of the 2015 Off-Season," and the Dodgers occupy 4 of the top 10 spots.
- Via Ron Cervenka at Think Blue LA, "Could Dodgers be hoping to right a wrong with Ramon Troncoso?"
- I know. I hate linking to this guy, but here ya go. Via Bill Plaschke at the LA Times, "Arrogance and greed are keeping Dodgers fans in a TV blackout I know.
Everyone is arrogant, everyone is wrong, and everyone is now blaming the whole mess on a couple of slow-moving marriages that were supposed to clean it up, but have only made it worse.
- Here's a prospect report. Via Dustin Nosler at Dodgers Digest, "2015 Dodgers prospects: Best Tools."
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *