Throughout Spring Training the Dodgers PR department sends out helpful daily notes from Camelback Ranch, and I am happy to pass them along. See what they've written below.
|(Manny Mota's tryke, via Eric Stephen on twitter)|
WE LOVE LA: Today marked the second day of workouts for pitchers and catchers at Camelback Ranch – Glendale. Position players report on Wednesday, with the first full-squad workout of 2015 scheduled for Thursday.
- Hyun-Jin Ryu, J.P. Howell, David Aardsma, Paco Rodriguez, Pedro Baez, Mike Bolsinger, Yimi Garcia, Julio Urias, Zach Lee, Chris Anderson and Chris Reed all threw their first “official” bullpens of the spring.
- It was announced today that right-hander Zack Greinke was given a lubricating injection in his right elbow on Thursday as part of his preseason conditioning. He is expected to be back on his normal routine in a few days. Ken Gurnick at MLB.com has more information, here.
"It's been part of the play for him, but we waited a couple days because we wanted the doc to see him," said manager Don Mattingly.
- A number of position players reported to camp early for voluntary workouts, including Adrian Gonzalez, Juan Uribe, Yasiel Puig, Joc Pederson, Justin Turner, Darwin Barney, Scott Van Slyke, Scott Schebler, Corey Seager, Erisbel Arruebarrena, Kike Hernandez, Matt Carson and O’Koyea Dickson.
|(pic via Bill Plunkett on twitter)|
GETTING BEACHY IN LA: Today, the Dodgers announced the signing of free-agent right-handed pitcher Brandon Beachy (#37) to a one-year contract with a club option for 2016. Beachy missed last season due to a March 21, 2014 Tommy John surgery, but pitched very well in 46 Major League starts for the Braves from 2010-2013, going 14-11 with a 3.23 ERA. He has limited opposing hitters to a .220 batting average and posted a 3.20 strikeout-to-walk ratio, striking out 275 and walking only 86. The 28-year-old Indiana native had a breakout year in 2011, going 7-3 with a 3.68 ERA in 25 starts with the Braves. His 169 strikeouts in 141.2 innings led the club and placed second among big league rookies in 2011, with his average of 10.74 strikeouts per nine innings ranking as the fourth-best all-time mark among MLB rookies (min. 25 starts), behind only Kerry Wood (12.58, 1998), Dwight Gooden (11.39, 1984) and Hideo Nomo (11.10, 1995).
- To create room on the 40-man roster, the Dodgers placed right-handed pitcher Chris Withrow on the 60-day disabled list.
|(Justin Turner Checking out Robert Height's ride, pic via Turner on twitter)|
JOHN FORCE RACING AND NHRA: The past two days, John Force Racing and the NHRA spent time with Los Angeles Dodger infielder Justin Turner and outfielder Joc Pederson. On Thursday, NHRA Funny Car champion Robert Hight joined Turner at Camelback Ranch-Glendale, touring the facility, taking batting and fielding practice throughout the afternoon. Yesterday, Turner and Pederson enjoyed the first day of qualifying at the CARQUEST Auto Parts NHRA Nationals. The professional qualifying sessions started yesterday with two more professional qualifying sessions today at Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park outside of Chandler, AZ. Final eliminations will start at 11 a.m. on Sunday.
|(Dodgers 2015 spring catchers, pic via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2015)|
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *