This might be the best photo I've ever seen of our ace pitcher. Yesterday morning, in honor of Mother's Day, @MLB tweeted out the above pic of a young Clayton with Mother Kershaw.
Unfortunately, it didn't provide the pitcher with much luck as he sought to capture his 100th career victory for the fourth time on Sunday. Under unseasonably arctic conditions in Colorado he appeared to be well on his way towards that victory. Then, the fifth inning came along to ruin it all. A series of five scattered singles and a walk allowed five runs to cross the plate. Thankfully, the Dodgers offense came into gear soon thereafter to take home the win. Via Ken Gurnich at MLB.com:
"Fortunately, we got the win when I didn't pitch that great," he said. "I felt OK, but I'm not getting the results again. Definitely not up to par for what I expect and what the team expects."Below are some more links to check out:
- Left Field Pavilion made a fantastic 1954 Bowman fantasy card of Jackie Robinson. Check it out here.
- Via Mark Saxon at ESPNLosAngeles.com, "Yasiel Puig to have MRI on Monday after aggravating left hamstring injury."
"That's what those games are for, to tell you if a guy's ready," Mattingly said. "We found out after he pulled up and felt something that he's just not ready. It doesn't mean it's a total setback or anything. From our standpoint, I don't think it's a monumental thing or it's blown up or anything."
- Via Zach Helfand at the LA Times, "Dodgers' Joc Pederson has the power, but he's still the rookie."
"I get a hard time for about everything," (Pederson) said.
The ribbing is part of life as a rookie, but also a way to ensure Pederson doesn't focus too much on home runs at the expense of quality at-bats.
- BTW, to make up for Saturday's rainout the Dodgers and Rockies will play a doubleheader on June 2nd, via a tweet from the @Dodgers:
The Dodgers and Rockies will play a day-night doubleheader June 2 (12:10 p.m. PT/5:40 p.m. PT) at Colorado to make up Saturday’s rainout.— Los Angeles Dodgers (@Dodgers) May 10, 2015
- Via Bill Plunkett at the OC Register, "Dodgers' Brandon Beachy changing his delivery to avoid more elbow problems."
“I had Tommy John once. I followed everything you’re supposed to do and it happened again. It might have been bad luck. But it didn’t make sense to me to do it all over again the same way just hoping it was bad luck.”
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *