Above is a 1963 UPI telephoto of Dodger starting pitchers Johnny Podres and Sandy Koufax that I found on eBay. Per the caption:
Yanlee Stadium: Johnny Podres (L), Dodgers' starting pitcher, gets some good advice from Sandy Koufax before the second World Series game here 10/3. Sandy knows his way around the Yankee batting order. He set a new Series record by striking out 15 as the Dodgers won the opener, 5-2.Below are some more links to check out:
- ICYMI: Paco Rodriguez was placed on the 15-day DL with an elbow strain. Matt West was called up from AAA. Per Jon Weisman at Dodger Insider:
Paco Rodriguez has had trouble finishing pitches, manager Don Mattingly told reporters this morning, so he has been placed on the disabled list and is heading to Los Angeles for examination on his left elbow.
- Jon Weisman also provides a peek at the June issue of Dodger Insider Magazine, here. Check it out on the right. Joc Pederson is on the cover.
- Via Jim Callis at MLB.com, "Dodgers' class of '68 tops list of 10 best Drafts."
"He actually showed me how to draft," Campanis told MLB.com's Ken Gurnick in a 1988 story for Baseball America. "He explained the difference between drafting the best athlete or going for need. He showed us how to rank players on a scale of 100 based on fundamental skills. He took a neophyte and taught me how to approach a draft, and I think this helped us."
- Via Mark Saxon at ESPNLosAngeles.com, "Data show A.J. Ellis is the best pitch-caller in baseball."
“It’s about manipulating a hitter’s body sometimes based on how they’re reacting to certain pitches,” Ellis said.
The Dodgers have known for years that Ellis is a skilled pitch-caller. He prepares his own scouting reports based on video work and works with pitching coach Rick Honeycutt throughout the game to adjust the plan of attack.
“I just love a guy who takes a lot of pride in what he does,” Honeycutt said. “When you get the uniformity we’ve had the last four years or so, I think you have to give him some of the credit for that.”
- Ron Cervenka at Think Blue LA writes about first baseman prospect Cody Bellinger: "Dodgers may have AGon’s replacement in their grasp."
- Check out Clayton Kershaw on The Dan Patrick Show below. (Hat Tip: Eric Stephen at True Blue LA):
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *