Yasiel Puig is seen taking batting practice underneath the confines of Dodger Stadium before yesterday's game. Considering the tough go he's had at it lately, he no doubt needed it. My question, though, is who is the little tyke on the bottom left of the photo? Ain't he in mortal danger of getting a ball fouled back towards him? Tough guy, that kid is.
The above photo via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers. Go here to check out more pics from him from yesterday's game. Below are some links to check out:
- Get well! Via an ESPN report, "Don Newcombe leaves Dodger Stadium for hospital after feeling ill."
- Awesome! Via Jon Weisman at Dodger Insider, "Juan Pierre is the best of sports."
Juan Pierre, who memorably accompanied his retirement announcement with the amusing lament that while he had 18 career home runs, he wished he had 20, was lighthearted Monday responding to my tweet that he had been the only position player in Dodger history to start in the No. 9 slot in the batting order after the pitcher.
- The 3rd Annual Kershaw's Challenge Ping Pong 4 Purpose charity event is coming up on July 30th. Go here for information.
- Via Steve Bourbon at MLB.com, "Crawford aims to return after All-Star break."
"I think [trainer] Stan [Conte] has a plan mapped out for him to be playing through the break so they have the same time off that we do," Mattingly said. "Then we can see where he's at."
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA, "Dodgers to call up Chin-hui Tsao, per report."
"He gives me a lot of options to play with, whether it's backdoor breaking balls, cutters inside, fastballs up," said catcher Yasmani Grandal in March. "He can bring it too. I didn't know he could bring it that hard."
- Panini shares some preview picks from their 2015 Immaculate Baseball set; including the Kershaw card on the right. Go here to see more.
- Nick Diunte at the Examiner.com tells us about a former Dodger who had recently passed away: "Buddy Hicks, former Detroit Tigers infielder, passes away at 87."
- Topps newest online exclusive creation is called "Fire" and it's an art print measuring 10"x14" and numbered for only #/49 copies. Clayton Kershaw and Yasil Puig prints are available. See them below. Go here to check them out. A rare "1 of 1" sepia version were also available, but have already been sold.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *