You gotta like the Dodgers recent offensive explosion at the plate. Yesterday, they hit three home runs in the 4th inning to propel the team to a 5-0 lead over the Reds. They would eventually win 7-4. Photo above via @SportsNetLA on twitter.
Below are more links to check out:
- Via Nick Diunte at Baseball Happenings, "How Dan Bankhead nearly incited a riot during his MLB debut."
“See, here’s what I always heard. Dan was scared to death that he was going to hit a white boy with a pitch,” Buck O’Neil said in Joe Posnanski’s, ‘The Soul of Baseball.’ “He thought there might be some sort of riot if he did it. Dan was from Alabama just like your father. But Satchel became a man of the world. Dan was always from Alabama, you know what I mean? He heard all those people calling him names, making those threats, and he was scared. He’d seen black men get lynched.”
- Rob Arthur at FiveThirtyEight takes a look at, "The Happiest And Saddest Fans In Baseball." Basically, everyone starts out happy and optimistic, but that quickly devolves into fear and angst as the season winds down.
- Some prospect news. Via David Hood at True Blue LA, "Alex Verdugo hits for the cycle in Quakes Romp."
- Via Mark Saxon at ESPN, "Los Angeles Dodgers beginning to find some bullpen solutions."
"You try to stay with those guys, knowing they have the stuff," Mattingly said. "We have some youth, but we also have a couple guys who are capable of getting hot, and that's really what we need -- for a couple guys to really get hot and allow us to put some combinations out there."
- Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com, "Ellis taking hot bat back to bench."
"My bad habit is when I have free time, I tinker, tinker, tinker to make my swing the best I can," said Ellis. "The problem with that is that I'm in between swings every time I go to the plate. I made the decision to make it simple, and I feel I really took off."
- Congratulations to LA King broadcaster Jim Fox! Via Jon Rosen at the LA Kings Insider, "Jim Fox to be inducted into the SCSB Hall of Fame."
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *