As I'm sure you all know by know, Vin Scully Avenue will officially be a thing in a few short weeks. The LA City Council unanimously voted to a street name change that will forever commemorate the the broadcaster. The street that leads into the main gates of Dodger Stadium, currently known as Elysian Park Avenue, will be renamed to Vin Scully Avenue. Featured in the pic above is Dodger manager Dave Roberts speaking to the council in support of the change.
Photo above via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2015. Go here to check out more pics from Jon of this event. Below are more links to check out:
- BTW, Vin Scully mentioned to reporters during FanFest that he hopes to call some road games during this last season. Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com:
"As a little kid who grew up literally in the Polo Grounds and was an avid Giants fan, I think I would love to finish in a Dodgers-Giants game," said Scully at Dodgers FanFest on Saturday, an event attended by nearly 25,000 people. "God willing, it will work out. We'll see."
- Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com, "Kershaw on Greinke: 'He's tough to replace.'"
"Zack is a very, very great pitcher. Last year, in my opinion, no offense to Jake [Arrieta], Zack was the best pitcher in the game. He's tough to replace.
"But we've got guys with experience, we've got talent and depth, and we should be a good team. Other than Jimmy [shortstop Jimmy Rollins], it looks like we'll have pretty much our team back. With the team we've put together, if everybody plays up to where he should, we'll be a really good team. We have a lot of depth. We just have to do what we're supposed to do."
- Via Bill Shaikin at the LA Times, "Chase Utley's appeal hearing will probably happen during spring training."
- ICYMI: Baseball Prospectus came out with their Top-100 Prospects list for 2016 and it includes six Dodger players; including Corey Seager at #1. Go here to check out the complete list. The other five to make the cut are Julio Urias (#6), Jose De Leon (#28), Grant Holmes (#40), Yadier Alvarez (#78) and Yuniel Diaz (#91). Also, Reddit user r/mattsergent posted up the short bios from Baseball Prospectus on Reddit that you see here. Below is the writeup on Grant Holmes:
Holmes is one of the more underrated pitching prospects in baseball. He is outshone in his own system by the top-end arm strength of Jose De Leon and the combination of youth, stuff and pitchability of Julio Urias. He even got overlooked among the 2014 prep-arm draft class due to the lack of projection in his 6-foot-1 frame. The Dodgers may have gotten a steal with the 22nd-overall pick as a result. Holmes features a plus fastball and curve, but needs to refine his command and changeup to reach his projection as a mid-rotation starter. You may have heard some of this before.
- I thought I would just pass along the report that Baseball America ranks my alma mater, Cal State Fullerton, as the 22nd best Baseball team in the nation. Check out the entire list here. Other California teams include Cal (#8), UCLA (#10) and USC (#16).
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *