As the new kid on campus, Corey Seager sure has ingratiated himself well with the fans. He's everyone's number #1 get of the spring, and if you can snap a selfie with the lad, like the lady in the above photo snapped by photographer Zachary P. Lucy on twitter, then you know you've had a good day.
In other Seager news, apparently his popularity has earned him a new nickname. Via Bill Plunkett at the OC Register:
Even his teammates and coaches remind him – in teasing fashion – what is expected of the consensus No. 1 prospect in baseball. Listen closely this spring and you’ll occasionally hear Seager referred to by his new nickname – “Roy,” as in Rookie of the Year.Below are more links to check out:
“I guess I get to take that one over from Joc (Pederson) last year. He passed that one on to me,” Seager said sheepishly. “Yeah, it’s all that good-quality fun. It’s never personal.
- Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com, "Urias hurls 2 innings in BP as LA takes it slow."
Dodgers pitcher Julio Urias threw two innings of batting practice on Monday and showed no signs of the slight groin tightness that set him back a few days.
If Urias comes out of the workout with no setback, he's likely to make his first Cactus League appearance at the end of the week. Urias felt the discomfort after throwing batting practice last Monday, and he then threw a bullpen session on Friday. The club is being extra cautious with the 19-year-old prodigy.
- Dave Roberts, via Doug Padilla at ESPN, shares some of what he saw in Urias:
"He’s a special young man,” Roberts said, when asked about Urias’ throwing session Monday. “The repeatability with his mechanics, for a young pitcher, is impressive. The sharpness of his breaking ball, the late life to his fastball, glove-side command with his fastball ... he was pretty impressive. There’s a lot to like.”
- Blowout Buzz provides another preview pic of an Kenta Maeda signed Baseball card. See it on the right. It is an early look at his upcoming Bowman Chrome card.
- Via Doug Padilla at ESPN, "Chase Utley happy to move forward with suspension lifted."
"[Torre] expressed to me that what happened in the playoffs, after looking at other slides over the course of the years, it was not much different from those and there were no penalties there," Utley said. "So with that said, they rescinded the suspension. I can't say enough how terrible I felt about what happened to Ruben. I had no intent to hurt him whatsoever. If anybody thinks I did, they're completely wrong.
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA, "Justin Turner getting closer to game action, Andre Ethier has right hand contusion."
"We're giving Ethier an extra day. He's going to be out there running around catching baseballs and throwing," (Dave) Roberts said. "Just with the bottom hand and his swing, we're going to keep him out an extra day."
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *