It doesn't get much better than this.
Yesterday's Opening Day was all about celebrating Vin Scully and the many years he sat behind the mic to call games. Players and personnel from his entire career came out to greet and honor him, and it was clear to see how touched the man of the hour was. It was quite a sight to see, and I'm sure the moment will be remembered by everyone in attendance.
In the middle of all the pomp and circumstance was probably the best selfie ever taken. Check it out above. From L to R: Kershaw (walking away), Newcombe, Valenzuela, Downing, Hershiser (holding camera), Russell, Cey, Magic, Wills, Koufax, Vin, Garvey, Lasorda, Monday. Pic at the very top via Dodgers on twitter.
As for the game, it was a stinker. The Dodger got off to an early lead, and Kenta Maeda was crafty in his six inning of scoreless pitching. Unfortunately, the Dodgers bullpen was not up to the task. They gave up four runs to lose the game. Via Jon Weisman at Dodger Insider:
“It’s a long season, and there are going to be ups and downs and guys are gonna struggle. … Right now, these guys aren’t throwing the ball as well as they’d like to or we’d like ’em to. But they’d be the first to say that.”Check out a bunch of great photos from the game by Jon SooHoo here. Below are more links to check out:
“Right now, you want to give these guys confidence and give them opportunities,” he said. “I expect to be ahead in a lot of games late, and we’re gonna need ’em, if we want to have a great season. So for me, it’s way too early to think about changing the roles.
“You’re seeing certain pitches that aren’t being executed, and over a certain time if that continues, then you’ve got to kind of entertain (changes), but right now, we’re just way too early.”
- Wow! Via Paul Lukas at ESPN, "Uni Watch: L.A. Dodgers display new 3-D look on batting helmet."
The Dodgers today unveiled new matte-finish batting helmets for their home opener. Several other MLB teams have recently changed their helmet finish from glossy to matte, including the Dodgers' opponents today, the Arizona Diamondbacks. But the Dodgers' new helmets have a unique feature: The team's familiar interlocking "LA" logo is raised from the helmet shell instead of being flat against it, creating a three-dimensional effect.
Paul Lukas shares even more details on his UniWatch blog (Link Here); inlcuding notes from Dodgers' Equipment Manager Mitch Poole and Director of Graphic Design Ross Yoshida
At one point the Dodgers were considering using the matte helmets with the 3D logos at home, and sticking with the glossy helmets and standard logo decals on the road. Ultimately, though, they decided to use just one set of helmets.
- ICYMI: Scott Van Slyke went on the 15-day DL with low back irritation (retroactive to April 10). This made room for Yasmani Grandal to be reinstated from the DL.
- Awesome! Via David Montero at LA Daily News, "We asked LA Dodgers about their first baseball glove; here’s what they said."
“I still have it,” JP Howell said. “The A-2000 I used in T-Ball. It’s brown - a classic-looking Wilson - with the W and everything on it.
Pitcher Clayton Kershaw remembered putting a baseball in his first glove and wrapping it tight with a belt. Then he put it between his mattress.
“I think I did all the tricks,” he said. “It was still stiff when I got it, but that’s the fun part about breaking in a glove - waiting until it it’s broken in. We’re spoiled now, but back then, you only get one glove for a long time and so you really work on it.”
- Audio: Peter Gammons Talks About Jackie Robinson’s Legacy On WFAN. (Link Here)
- Here's your latest hidden treasure find of vintage Baseball memorabilia. Via Rich Mueller at Sports Collectors Daily, "Wisconsin Barn Yields Baseball Treasure."
One conversation with a baseball-loving friend led to another with Mile High Card Company President Brian Drent and now a newly discovered example of one of the hobby’s rarest and most desirable advertising pieces—a 1915 Cracker Jack advertising poster—is coming to auction.
- I thought I'd make note of this. The Tulsa Drillers, the Dodgers Double-A ballclub, is currently auctioning off a game-used Julio Urias jersey from the 2015 season. Check out the auction here. Below are pics of it.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *