Topps provided a nice surprise for collectors this morning. Featured in the pic above is Topps' design for their 2017 Baseball card set. Best yet, they use a pic of Clayton Kershaw to show us the design. It was tweeted out this morning by Topps.
Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodger History: In 1975 Davey Lopes stole his 32nd consecutive base without being caught. This broke a record set in 1922 by Hall of Fame Pirate outfielder Max Carey. In 1976 the Dodgers are no-hit by Pirates hurler John Candelaria in Pittsburgh.
- Happy Birthday, Claude Osteen and Drew Butera!
- ICYMI: Reliever Joe Blanton has been put on the Bereavement List. Josh Ravin, who recently came back from a suspension for a violation of Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention and Treatment Program, has been recalled to join the Dodgers. Per a Dodgers press release:
Ravin, 28, combined to post a 1.00 ERA (1 ER/9.0 IP) in six minor league games (two starts) this year with OKC and the Rookie-level AZL Dodgers, limiting opponents to a .094 batting average and striking out 18 in 9.0 innings.
- Via Dodger Insider; "ThinkCure! Weekend 2016 arrives Saturday-Sunday."
- Just a friendly reminder. National Baseball Card Day is set for Saturday with free cards & more; via Blowout Buzz. Clayton Kershaw and Corey Seager will be in the limited edition set.
The hobby shop event will have participating stores in the United States and Canada giving away free six-card packs to visitors. It’s a promotion that hasn’t been done since 2008.
- WTF! Via ESPN; "Yasiel Puig posts videos partying with Triple-A teammates after loss."
Puig began by posting a video of him shirtless in the team's locker room, smiling and saying: "It's so funny. We lose today, and everybody's happy."
Videos posted later showed Puig and his teammates dancing, singing and chanting, often using profanity.
A banner on one of the videos reads, "I Love this Team."
UPDATE: JP Hoornstra at Inside the Dodgers has all the videos here.
- Corey Seager had quite a game last night. He pelted two home runs to reach 21 for the season. This set a new Dodger record for homers by a shortstop. Via Doug Padilla at ESPN; "Corey Seager powering his way through a 'special' season."
"It's cool," Seager said. "I don't really know what to think about it. You haven't really thought of it during the year, you're just worried about winning. It's one of those things that there will come a time when you will look back at it, but at the time it's just about winning that night."
- Via Jack Baer at MLB.com; "Thompson has back fractures, X-ray reveals."
"It was frustrating," Thompson said. "When I got an MRI, they said nothing was wrong. I was almost kind of disappointed with how bad I felt. Just physically, I felt like something was wrong. Once I got news it was a fracture, it was almost bittersweet."
- Via Harold Uhlman at Think Blue LA; "Loons’ Tony Gonsolin – ‘I just want to play baseball.’"
“He loves baseball and he’s worked very hard to get where he’s at,” said Gonsolin’s mother. “I’ve always taught him to be positive and I’ve tried to be a positive role model for him when things aren’t going his way. If he had a bad day at the plate, we’ll talk on the phone and I’ll tell him to find the positive in it. I think it’s worked for the most part.”
Tony Gonsolin agrees with his mother: “Honestly, I just want to play baseball.”
Sources: Tim Tebow had a private workout with the Dodgers before this season— Darren Rovell (@darrenrovell) August 9, 2016
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *