ICYMI: The Dodgers recently added a new game giveaway to their schedule, and it commemorates the career of retiring legend Vin Scully. It will be given out on Saturday, September 24th against the Colorado Rockies, and that is the second to last home game of the regular season. Check out what it looks like in the graphic above, via @Dodgers on twitter.
As for the game, the Dodgers won their fourth game in row by taking advantage of Diamondback starting pitcher Shelby Miller, 5-2. They recorded eleven hits and scored five runs in the 4.1 innings he pitched. Per Jack Baer and Steve Gilbert at MLB.com:
"We put some at-bats together and got a lot of hits out there, got a lot of baserunners," Dodgers manager Dave Roberts said. "I thought it was really good. Jumped on Miller early, stressed him early. It was just a well-played baseball game."Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodger History: In 1903 the Brooklyn Superbas (Dodgers) and the NY Giants play a two-stadium, same-day doubleheader. The first game began at 10:30 AM at Washington Park (Giants won, 6-4), and the second game got underway later that afternoon (Brooklyn won, 3-0). In 1962 Maury Wills stole four bases against the Pirates to break the modern National League record for stolen bases at 82. In 2001 Shawn Green broke the Dodger record for home runs in a season at 44.
- Happy Birthday, Willie Crawford!
- Podcast: Mike Mangione shares his recent interview with former Dodgers catcher AJ Ellis (Link Here - dated 9/6/2016).
- Podcast: Colin Gunderson at the Love of Baseball podcast shares his recent interview with retiring Padres broadcaster Dick Enberg (Link Here).
- Via Cary Osborne at Dodger Insider; "Trio of Dodger farm teams start playoffs today."
The playoffs begin for the Dodgers today.
The Triple-A Oklahoma City Dodgers that is, as well as two other Dodger minor league partners — the High-A Rancho Cucamonga Quakes and the Low-A Great Lakes Loons.
- Via Jeff Sullivan at FanGraphs; "Jose De Leon Looked Exactly as Advertised."
In another organization, Jose De Leon would be a rotation regular. With the Dodgers, even though they’ve had to deal with an impossible number of injuries, the rotation picture is still oddly crowded, so it’s unclear when De Leon will get another go. This much is certain: Future opportunities are coming. The Dodgers like what they have, and, they ought to. They know that De Leon is ready to be a big-league starter. And now, so do you, for many of the reasons De Leon showed in his first six innings. He’s not perfect, and he’s not as good as he could be, but prospects don’t get much more advanced.
- Blowout Buzz takes a look at the handful of certified Vin Scully autographed Baseball cards available on the market (Link Here).
- Not only has Topps made a unopened pack/box version of their online virtual trading card app, but they also have Topps Bunt cards available for sale "on-demand" from them online. They are called "2016 Topps Bunt Crossover", and this weeks set includes Corey Seager as one of the six cards that are available. Go here to check it out and order. You can see the Seager card on the right. BTW, you can go here to see a running checklist of all cards that are available.
- On a side note, Topps has also issued a new online exclusive Baseball card brand called 2016 Archives Snapshot and it features unique candid images from Topps own image vault. There are only 50 cards in the base set and 36 autographed card available in a box. A box cost $24.99 each and you get ten base cards, a parallel B&W base card and one autographed card. Go here to order. I hope to have pics of the Dodgers cards soon, so stay tuned.
- Via Doug Padilla at ESPN; "Andre Ethier could be back by the end of the week."
“I think [Wednesday] he’s supposed to play in Rancho Cucamonga again and at that point we will re-evaluate,” manager Dave Roberts said. “As I said from the beginning, I want to leave it up to 'Dre and trust his knowledge of his own swing, where he is physically and defer to that.”
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA; "O’Koyea Dickson named PCL Player of the Week: Dickson hit .500 with 7 extra-base hits."
- This mornings Baseball America report makes note of Dodgers outfield prospect Cody Thomas (Link Here):
The former Sooners backup quarterback has shown the rawness you’d expect from a player who skipped playing baseball in 2015 to focus on football, but he’s also shown athleticism and power. Thomas blasted his 15th homer—second in the Pioneer League to Ronnie Gideon—and had three hits in Ogden’s 12-10 win over Grand Junction (Rockies). Thomas has holes in his swing—he has struck out 83 times in 220 plate appearances—but the raw power and athleticism make him a player to dream on.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *