Here's a fantastic International News press photo, dated April 3, 1950, Ralph Branca while warming up on the mound during spring training at Vero Beach. Pic above via eBay (link here).
Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1972 first baseman Wes Parker won his sixth straight Gold Glove Award. He would retire at the end of this season.
- Happy Birthday, Octavio Dotel, Gene Bailey, Ben Wade & Grant Dayton!
- Video: This is awesome. Here is a vintage video from the John Branca Estate (brother of Dodger pitcher Ralph Branca) that includes video from 1942 featuring John Branca as a New York State baseball champion and Ralph Branca Day at Ebbets Field, 1947. (Link Here)
- Rachel Robinson pens a touching tribute to her friend Ralph Branca. As you may know, Branca was one of the first Dodgers to befriend Jackie Robinson when he joined Brooklyn. (Link Here)
“Ralph was a true friend and I loved him. He and Ann were among our dearest Dodger family friends. He was a man of integrity and humility and we felt his sincerity. I will treasure my warm memories of our times together. I was very saddened to receive this news.”
- Via CBS New York; "MUST LISTEN: Bobby Valentine Tells Tales About His Father-In-Law, Ralph Branca."
One positive that Thomson is remembered for is the way he greeted Jackie Robinson, who broke the major league color barrier in 1947, with open arms.
“Basically, he didn’t truly get all that stuff,” Valentine said. “He grew up in Mount Vernon. He was one of 17 kids. There were people in the neighborhood who were of color. There were Spanish people and black people. And he and Jackie were the only two college guys on the team. So he totally backed Jackie because he saw injustice and couldn’t stand for it.”
- Audio: David Vassegh of Dodger Talk speaks with former Dodger outfielder Gary Sheffield about his Baseball career. He is currently on the Hall of Fame ballot for the first time. (Link Here)
- Here is some eye candy. Via Matthew Mesa at Dodger Insider; "My favorite photos of the 2016 season."
- David Hood at True Blue LA shares his, "Dodgers 2017 top prospects: Nos. 26-30" list.
- Three Dodgers make the Arizona Fall League 2016: Top 25 prospects, Via Jim Callis at MLB.com. They are Cody Bellinger, Willie Calhoun and Alex Verdugo.
- Via William Boor at MLB.com; "Dodgers' Cash reaching families through baseball: Pitching prospect's foundation provides presents for children who have lost parents to cancer."
The 25-year-old Dodgers' farmhand has experienced significant loss and devastation throughout his life. Because of those experiences, he started the Ralston Cash Foundation, a non-profit organization that buys Christmas presents for children who have lost a parent to cancer.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *