I thought I would start the day by sharing this pic of a group of vintage Ebbets Field postcards that are currently on auction at Hunt's Louisville Slugger Museum & Factory auction (Auction Link Here). Most of these are the standard fare, with an exception being the B&W real-photo-postcard seen on the bottom row. According to the auction description it dates to 1927 and features a group of students who play high school football running around the infield in the shape of the letter "S".
Below are more links to check out:
- Video: Watch Dodgers prospect Willie Calhoun speak with Sande Charles of FanRag Sports. (Link Here)
- I'm sorry Justin. Dodgers third baseman and free agent Justin Turner announced yesterday, via instagram, that his dog Nug Turner had died. BTW, Nug had his very own instagram page that you can check out here.
- Just one of many rumors spreading throughout the interwebs. Via Ken Rosenthal at Fox Sports; "Sources: Dodgers exploring trade of Howie Kendrick."
The Dodgers are exploring a trade of Kendrick, who grew frustrated with his role last season, according to major-league sources.
- Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com; "Jansen, Turner among Dodgers' top priorities."
Dodgers general manager Farhan Zaidi said the club is having "ongoing dialogue" with free agents Kenley Jansen and Justin Turner, among others.
Speaking at the General Managers Meetings in Scottsdale, Ariz., on Tuesday, Zaidi hinted that retaining starting pitcher Rich Hill and reliever Joe Blanton are also priorities.
"The first part of our offseason is going to be driven by retaining our own guys," Zaidi said.
- Via Jon Heyman at FanRag Sports; "Dodgers hopeful for return of major pieces, outside help."
One rival with Dodgers connections said it could be a tough call who they’d prioritize between stars Jansen and Turner, but it’s clear they’d love both back. Jansen’s market is expected to explode following his big postseason (and the continuing postseason emphasis in MLB on the bullpen). They also love Turner, who had a big postseason as well, but seem to have concern about a possible contract length; Turner’s people have pointed out that the older Ben Zobrist got a four-year deal last winter, making clear they’d hope for a deal at least that long, and perhaps a bit longer.
- Via Ricky Mears at Baseball Ranks; "MILB Scouting Report: Yadier Alvarez, RHP, Los Angeles Dodgers."
Here at Baseball Ranks, Alvarez has been considered a tier 4, top 50 prospect across all levels, as early as September 2016. This was a slight ascension of 5 spots and 1 tier since August 2016. Since signing, Alvarez has show his potential with the Great Lake Loons of the Midwest League in Single A ball, where he posted a 2.29 ERA in 39.1 innings pitched, a slight increase from his 1.80 ERA in 20 innings pitched while in the Arizona Rookie Ball League. He has a 93-98 mph fastball that on occasion can hit 99-100 mph and is utilized heavily as his out pitch. Alvarez also as a plus slider, and fringe average curveball. He recently started throwing a changeup that is considered well below average at this point in his development.
- This is exciting. Via Rich Mueller at Sports Collectors Daily; "Neil Leifer Photograph Collection Coming to Auction." Go here to check out some of his more iconic photos, via Sports Illustrated; "50 Years Ago With Neil Leifer: 2015 Edition." My favorite is the hidden-camera photograph of Willie Davis stealing second base, as seen below. No word yet if this photo or any of the one's shown at the SI link will be included in this auction.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *