What a fantastic slide by Dodger second baseman and leadoff man Jim Gilliam. As you can see in the above International News press photo dated September 16, 1954, Gilliam darted beneath a high throw to Reds catcher Andy Seminick to score a run. (eBay Auction Link)
This game started out great. The Dodgers were 4.5 games behind the Giants with just nine games left to play before the World Series. So, the Dodgers needed to hustle if they wanted to find themselves playing in the Fall Classic. Unfortunately, like this game, the Dodgers would fall far too short of that goal. Gilliam's score in the first inning would give the team an early lead, but the Reds persevered to win the game, 9-3.
Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodgers History: In 1998 it is announced that Dodgers hurler Don Sutton will be inducted into the Hall of Fame. It was his fifth time on the ballot.
- Happy Birthday, Bob Caruthers, Dutch Jordan, Charlie Hough & Bill Dahlen!
- I suppose this is a high-stakes game of chicken. Via a tweet from Bob Nightengale:
The #Dodgers are the heavy favorite to land #Twins 2B Brian Dozier,but Twins continue to insist they need more than Jose De Leon to move him— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) January 5, 2017
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA; "Darin Ruf falls short of qualifying for salary arbitration."
- Blowout Buzz provides a very early peek at Topps 2017 Tier One Baseball card set; including the Clayton Kershaw and Corey Seager cards below. Go here to check out more pics. This set is slated to be released in the Spring.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *