Scott Kazmir made his first spring start last night and didn't last two innings. No matter, though. As Scott said later on, via Cary Osborne at Dodger Insider:
“It’s a matter of getting reps to go out there and get some consistency”Obviously, he's still working on consistency. He began the evening by blowing through the Giants lineup in the first inning, but then got into trouble during the second. Per Ken Gurnick at MLB.com:
"I had a long [pregame] bullpen and it was on point, but as the night was going on, I kind of got lazy with the stuff I was working on," Kazmir said. "The first inning I was able to sync some stuff up."BTW, the Dodgers defeated the Giants in their first match-up of Spring, 7-6. Joc Pederson slammed a three-run homer in the fifth inning.
Photo at the very top via Jon SooHoo/LA Dodgers 2017. Go here to check out more pics bu Jon from yesterday. Below are more links to check out:
- This Day in Dodger History: In 1956 the Dodgers sold pitching prospect Tommy Lasorda to the Kansas City A's. In 1976 the Dodgers traded outfielder Willie Crawford to the Cardinals for infielder Ted Sizemore.
- Happy Birthday, William Fischer, Moe Berg, Woody English, Cal Abrams, Chico Fernandez, Jay Gibbons & Bud Norris!
- Video: Corey Seager sits down with John Hartung to talk about his idols, his rising expectations after having a sensational rookie year and more. (Video Link)
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA; "Willie Calhoun getting a crash course at second base this spring."
"He's working so hard off the field. Every day off the field it's extra ground balls and all the conditioning stuff and weights. He's here early,” manager Dave Roberts said on Tuesday. “For me, to extend his day doesn't make a lot of sense. He'll get in games soon.”
- There is nothing to worry about here. Per Ken Gurnick at MLB.com; "Bruised right shin to keep Seager out until Friday."
- Via Ken Gurnick at MLB.com; "Ryu feeling good despite thigh muscle issue."
"It went well; I feel better," said Ryu. "I didn't feel anything in the adductor or any of the previous injuries. As far as I'm concerned, I'm ready to move on."
- Via Eric Stephen at True Blue LA; "Trevor Oaks is the Dodgers’ piano man."
The Dodgers’ seventh-round pick in 2014 out of Cal Baptist in Riverside led Dodgers minor leaguers with 151 innings pitched last year, and figures to be a big part of the Triple-A Oklahoma City rotation in 2017. But on Wednesday, Oaks showed off a hidden talent, playing piano in front of the entire clubhouse.
(Pic via Jon SooHoo)
- Here is a fascinating look Clayton Kershaw and how much better he would be if he threw his fastball less in hitters counts. Per Travis Sawchik at FanGraphs; "What If Clayton Kershaw Weren’t So Predictable?"
- Panini America's blog shares a bunch of preview pics from their upcoming 2017 Donruss Baseball card set; including the Duke Snider and Fernando Valenzuela cards below. Go here to check out more pics. This set officially releases to the public next week.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *