Panini unveiled some preview pics of their upcoming 2012 National Treasures Baseball set; including the above Jackie Robinson book card. Go here for more information and pics of this new product. It is slated to be released on February 13th.
- True to the Blue tells about the upcoming Trinity Bat Company Home Run Challenge this Saturday. It will be at Mater Dei High School in Santa Ana, and numerous MLB stars will be there.
- Christopher Jackson writes a guest post at Mike Scioscia's Tragic Illness that takes a look at catching depth within the Dodgers. He'll be writing a series of post on each position.
- The Dodgers continue to add to their farm system. It has been announced by Ben Badler at Baseball America that they have just signed 17-year old Dominican Ariel Sandoval for $150,000.
Sandoval is 6-foot-2, 180 pounds and impressed the Dodgers with his potential to hit for both average and power from the right side of the plate. He's an above-average runner who should begin his career in center field, though he has the arm strength to play right field if he outgrows the position.
- Baseball sabermatrician and recent presidential election stats-guru, Nate Silver, is holding a "Ask Me Anything" session on reddit this morning. It's likely he'll be talking mostly about the election, but you never know if he'll talk a little Baseball, as well. Go here to check it out.
- Craig Calcaterra at Hardball Talk lets us know that the man originally accused of the Bryan Stow beating at Dodger Stadium recently had his lawsuit against the city (maybe for defamation?) dismissed.
- Topps just unveiled a sneak peek look at the card design for their 2013 Allen & Ginter card set on twitter. See it at right.
- This is the most fascinating story I've read so far this year. Via Rafael Medoff at JNS.org, he tells us about Babe Ruth's role in letting the American public know about the Jewish Holocaust as Hitler rose to power.
By participating in this German-American protest against the Holocaust, Ruth used his powerful name to help attract public attention to the Jews’ plight. Timing is everything, both on the baseball field and beyond, and the timing of Ruth’s protest was crucial: precisely at the moment when U.S. officials were hoping to brush the Jewish refugee problem aside, Babe Ruth helped keep it front and center.
- Sports Collectors Daily tells us that the 2013 Shrine of the Eternals ballot will include retired Topps executive and Baseball card pioneer Sy Berger.
- RIP: Huell Howser. You will be sorely missed. Check out the below youtube video made in tribute to him.
* Please follow on twitter @ernestreyes *
* Like Dodgers Blue Heaven on facebook *
* Dodgers Blue Heaven home page *